Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

2 1/2 pound engine - Warnnig, lots of pictures!

<< < (4/4)

CallMeAl:
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

--- Quote from: geroli on August 11, 2009, 04:35:53 AM ---Nice one love the casting
Gerhard

--- End quote ---

The main reason I put together my little foundry was to attempt to make engine castings.  This is the third one I've done and the most elaborate.

--- Quote from: Bernd on August 12, 2009, 08:48:19 AM ---Nice engine Al. I think you'd get first prize for a "the slowest running engine".

Your own design?

I was amazed at how well balanced it is when at a higher speed. You didn't have it glued to the table did ya?  :lol:

Hope to see more projects from you here.

Bernd

--- End quote ---

Yes, I like bigger, slow running engines.  I like to see all the pieces moving around.  The little bitty blurry buzzers are very impressive with speed and skill it took to build them, but my dim eyesight and clumsy fingers keep me from attempting to build anything that small.  This is my own design.  I am trying to do things a little different and like to see if I can figure out how accomplish the design.  Not totally original by any means, just my take on others ideas.  It makes it more interesting that way! 

--- Quote from: NickG on August 12, 2009, 05:07:10 PM ---Love the motion, what drives the valve rod is it an eccentric and strap?
Nick

--- End quote ---

The valve rod is driven by an eccentric.  I wanted try a "teeter tooter" arrangement on the valve rod just for the fun of it.  I've seen it done on hit n miss engines and was intrigued enough to apply it to this "steam" model engine.  I don't think I've seen done like this before, but I haven't seen them all!  Figuring out the stroke on the eccentric was the most difficult part due to the unequal length of the arms from the pivot point of the valve rod.

NickG:
I haven't seen it done like that either. As you say on ic engines and flame gulpers but usually with cam instead of eccentric. Very unique. Great stuff.  :thumbup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version