Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

2 1/2 pound engine - Warnnig, lots of pictures!

(1/4) > >>

CallMeAl:
Hello everyone,

I started this engine over a year ago and am now just finally getting around to getting it going. I would like to blame many things for my rate of progress, but it just comes down to procrastination!  Their always seems to be something else to work on or fix.

I posted some of these pictures on another forum, but to refresh your memory I'm re-posting them here since as I said it's been over a year ago I started this thing.  The whole idea was to use a 2 1/2 pound weight from a barbell that I found at a scrap yard and design an engine around it.

I started with a wooden pattern for the base:

I cast that in aluminum:

Made a few of the parts - crank axle, counter weight, cylinder, piston, and rod:

Here is where I got stuck and put it aside till a couple of week ends ago.  I got tired of looking at it lying dormant at the back of my bench so finally took a couple of days figure out the valve and valve train and got it working!!

It's funny how you put things off..  This has turned out to be a very fun project and it is satisfying to see it running after all this time.  It turned out better that I planned - even though I made it up as I went along. ::)

Here it is running:

spuddevans:
Well thats great, well done on getting a runner  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It ticks over very nicely at a slow speed, and I like the sound of it too.

Tim

Stilldrillin:
That`s great Al! It runs very well.  :clap: :clap:

Very well shown too......  :thumbup:

David D

John Hill:
Great result  Al! :bow:

raynerd:
Excellent - love the case ally frame.

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index