Author Topic: Anodizing Aluminum  (Read 11570 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Anodizing Aluminum
« on: July 29, 2009, 03:58:21 PM »
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Weston Bye

• Grand Blanc, Michigan
Re: Anodizing Aluminum
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 05:01:49 PM »
I can attest to the information presented in both links.  They are the basis for my anodizing operation.  The dyes from Caswells work well.
Weston Bye
Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts.
author of The Mechatronist column
Digital Machinist magazine

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 06:28:42 PM »
Hi Weston how large of an object have you been able to anodize with this method?  I ask because I am interested in anodizing this project:

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1350.0

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 07:13:37 PM »
Bob,

From reading Ron Newman's site you shouldn't have any problems with the 2 gallon kit.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Weston Bye

• Grand Blanc, Michigan
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 07:18:21 PM »
Bob,
That part is a bit larger than I've done, but it would fit in my tank and my power supply is big enough to handle it.  It has been a while since I have needed any anodizing, but everything is waiting and could be set up in a few hours.  I see that you are relatively nearby.  Perhaps I could help you out with the anodizing.
Weston Bye
Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts.
author of The Mechatronist column
Digital Machinist magazine

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 08:22:56 PM »
I've been reading those sites and many others over the past few weeks.  Anodizing can't be all that difficult, judging from some of the stuff out there.  I realize those guys are having production quality (repeatable) results, but they also have lots invested, and do it for money.  Many of the forums on the subject (and there are quite a few) tend to dismiss a lot of what they say as hype to get you to buy their stuff.  For instance, many DIYers have had astounding success with little more than a battery charger, some acid from the auto parts store and clothing dye from the supermarket.  Cheap, simple, and no $200+ kits to buy.  Basically, safety around the acid seems to be the #1 thing to keep in mind.

Another hint: I once bought food grade buckets (like included in the kits) through the web for my workplace.  More than half the cost was shipping the damn things.  Supermarkets with bulk food sections throw out buckets (or recycle them) everyday.  Go ask at night (when they're stocking the shelves), and you're likely to get an offer to take as many as you want.

I intend to anodize the parts for my current project, and do it the cheap way.  I'll be sure to post the results and my observations at that time.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 09:25:15 PM »
If you have need of larger food grade buckets or tanks or for that matter plastic labware and plastic in general. I have used this company for over 25 years and been a satisfied customer.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.asp
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 10:15:46 PM »
I'll second that.  We buy our wastewater treatment tanks from them.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 12:06:59 PM »
Bob,
That part is a bit larger than I've done, but it would fit in my tank and my power supply is big enough to handle it.  It has been a while since I have needed any anodizing, but everything is waiting and could be set up in a few hours.  I see that you are relatively nearby.  Perhaps I could help you out with the anodizing.

Weston thanks for the gracious offer, I have also thought about hard anodizing but from the research I have done so far that appears to be out of the reach of a normal HSM person.  From what I can find in my research the Cat II anodizing is what we would come close to accomplishing with the home set up. This may work for my purposes for now.  When would you have time for visit and what do I need to bring besides the part?  It appears you are around an hour and a half drive from Eaton Rapids.

BTW the part is 5.20 x 2.

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 12:17:25 PM »
Bob,

From reading Ron Newman's site you shouldn't have any problems with the 2 gallon kit.

Bernd

Bernd thanks for the reply.

Offline David Morrow

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 12:02:07 AM »
If you have need of larger food grade buckets or tanks or for that matter plastic labware and plastic in general. I have used this company for over 25 years and been a satisfied customer.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.asp

I just use the buckets that kitty litter comes in - about 3 gallons or so. Some deli's throw them out because food comes in them too. No need to get food grade though. But if you must, just check your local restaurant supply house. They'll have no end of sizes and shapes.