Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

I caught Rocker-itus too!

(1/10) > >>

Bernd:
All this talk about the Rocker Engine, the fine examples shown here, and Bogs fancy flywheel got me motivated to try a Rocker engine also, as if I have the time for another project.

So I started out with the flywheel first. I did a bit of head scratching to see if I could come up with something different in flywheel design. I literally slept on it. The next day I had a design worked out. Nothing fancy mind you, just 10 parts to make up the flywheel.

So here's the first pic of what it looks like.

And now how I got to this point. First a piece of 1.5" dia. brass faced.

Then turned around, faced, center drilled and drilled to a .188" depth.

I then used an end mill to get a flat bottom.

Next the boring bar was used to bore the ID of the flywheel.

Here it is at 1.000" dia and .188" deep.

Next all the little parts that were turned earlier, of which I didn't get any pics of, were tweaked to proper size on a mandrel so they would fit inside the 1.000" dia and sit flat on the bottom.

They were then silver soldered together to form one piece.

Back to the lathe and faced off.

Next I used a chamfering tool to line up the smaller parts. I used a bigger drill to enlarge the holes of all the smaller parts. The hole 180 degrees from the tool is already done.

Then it was back into the lathe to have the back side faced off until all the holes showed through.

Here's a couple more pics of the finished flywheel.

Well now, I suppose I need to make the other parts to finish the Rocker. Guess I need to sleep on it to see if I cam come up with something different for the rest of the engine.

Regards,
Bernd

dsquire:

Bernd

I think you have caught more than Rocker-itus. I believe you have caught a severe case of Acute Impresive Rocker-itus.  :ddb: :ddb:

Sure beats laying bricks.  :offtopic:

Don ducking and running for cover :wave:

cheers  :beer:

Don

rleete:
Nice.  You never mentioned this on your visit.  Done after you left?

zeusrekning:
Man Oh Man. Now that is sweet. I love to see new flywheel ideas. And this is a very impressive one I had never thought of.  :thumbup:

Divided he ad:
Well Bernd,

From a man who don't really do bling much, you're certainly doing a stand up job  :clap:

I too love a good flywheel   :ddb:

I like this game..... Waiting to see what you can come up with?  :nrocks:

Ralph.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version