Author Topic: Workshop Security  (Read 77051 times)

Offline lazylathe

• Mastering the art of reducing metal into swarf!
Re: Workshop Security
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2011, 08:27:52 PM »
Full security system on the house.
Two large dogs, one of them a German Shepherd and the other a Border Collie.
The shepherd to keep the criminals outside while the collie comes to get me!!!

I don't think i need anything else! :thumbup:

A while ago some person tried to break in and set off the alarm.
The siren is deafening and that scared him enough.
When the coppers arrived they would not come inside to see what was going on because the shepherd kept them at bay!
The wife and i were at work and got a call from the cops saying that they thought the house was safe!!! :D

No one likes to take on big vicious dogs!!!

Andrew

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2011, 07:58:16 AM »
Is your German shepard a male?

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2011, 08:55:08 AM »
Bernd,

Is your German shepard a male?
Bernd

Never mind about the shepard guy - what about his dog! :lol:

DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2011, 01:15:30 PM »
It's disappointing to read a thread hoping to get some security tips and then I find you all discussing the popular Christmas time movie Home Alone. But seriously has anyone got any suggestions that aren't vile, disproportionate, and/or totally illegal? The only good one so far has been to not advertise that you have stuff worth stealing.

Offline DaveH

« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
** Edited per DaveH
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 08:31:11 AM by Brass_Machine »

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2011, 02:17:51 PM »

Sorry  you could not finned what you were looking for  02sheslop  ,,,,,,,,,,, maybe you have some ideas you would like to share on the matter

Rob

Edited ,, as my original post was uncalled for and way out of order .

« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:53:40 PM by Rob.Wilson »

Offline Pete.

« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2011, 07:14:44 AM »
My garage has no windows and two doors, it was a free-standing plant room that I unbolted, cut down to size then re-built in my garden. One door (alley side) is a steel covered fire door and weighs about 3cwt, the other (garden side) is a 60min fire door with a narrow wired-glass window in the middle over which I've hung a metric/imperial conversion chart.

I'm not saying it's impregnable - but it bloody well looks it :D

The daftest thing I see doing is people flaunting their workshop & tools to the world online. Can't understand why people do that :scratch:

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2011, 07:15:29 AM »
The daftest thing I see doing is people flaunting their workshop & tools to the world online. Can't understand why people do that :scratch:

It's crazy seeing anyone flaunt anthing anywhere. I've had friends who've gotten the ~latest mobile phones~ and naturally started showing them off and to everyone, claiming they cost only £400 when the rrp is £700 or whatver crap. Leave it smack bang in the middle of the pub table the whole night for the world to see and then act surprised when the world sees it and the thing goes missing. Guess you could consider it quite flattering if you're that optimistic.

Another personal favourite is seeing a guy waddling around with his Canon brand Canon D-SLR camera in a Canon brand Canon camera bag with the Canon logo on the front, back, sides, and up and down the strap. Then the guy sits down on a bench and puts the bag behind him while he stops to wipe the sweat from his forehead and chins. If I was more of an opportunist i'd have been tempted to just pick the thing up and walk away with it around the corner and off into the sunset.

Offline DaveH

« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2011, 07:42:16 AM »
02sheslop.

May be I should take the time to explain why you received such a hostile reception.

Your very first post I considered to be rude, sarcastic, demeaning to the members that had posted, and incorrect.
If you feel the post didn’t answer your particular question, then ask in the proper manner, someone will only be too happy to help.

It is all about participation in a nice positive and polite manner. :D :D :D

It is also customary to introduce your self first (in Introductions) before diving in head long.

So why don’t you introduce your self and come and join us. :D
 :beer:
DaveH

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2011, 07:00:05 PM »
The reason I asked if the dog was a male was the fact if he's not properly trained then a female in heat will distract from his quard duties. And I'm being serious here.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline DaveH

« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2011, 07:02:55 PM »
Sorry Bernd,

DaveH

Offline Marauder

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2011, 05:03:24 AM »
I keep on thinking about buying one of those baby monitoring devices,You can leave one part in the garage/workshop and the other part in my living room  of my house then you can hear anything going on inside your garage/shed/shop.(Just a thought)

Offline DaveH

« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2011, 10:10:34 AM »
Allen,

Anything that can give a pre-warning is a good idea.

DaveH

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2011, 10:21:15 AM »
A well-known consumer magazine has tested baby monitors and its Best Buys start at about £50.

If the shed close to the house, something like this might be better. More audible if the TV is on loud, or if you are asleep. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002JCTR1K/ref=asc_df_B002JCTR1K3595002?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B002JCTR1K

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2011, 10:25:37 AM »
Places like Tiger Direct here in the colonies have DVR camera systems with 8 IR/normal cameras that are "weatherproof" "indoor/outdoor" as well as everything you need for around 350 bucks. OR if you want to do the entire house and garage, a 16 channel with 16 cameras is around 600.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=4442

Granted there is nothing better than having the neighborhood friendly drunk/busybody, wandering down your alley in the early evening and having him see you come out with a large caliber handgun in your pocket.  :thumbup:
Add to that, he is a racing fan, and ex motorcycle and circle track racer, and comes around once a month or so, and we talk racing. He also is close to all the less desirable members of the community, and is well aware my best friend is a rather large police officer who hangs out on weekends in the garage.

A sign saying you have video surveilance, and a no trespassing sign are good as well.
SPiN Racing

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2011, 01:14:47 PM »
why not spend the same amout of money as you would on a Vice  and buy a dual zone detector Pacif/ultosonic  both have to alarm at the same time for it to go off, and a simple alarm unit also think about a pasive out door detector with an indoor buzzer so you can tell if anybody is out side , with the amout of equipment and the engines /projects it is well worth it.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_External_Index/Security_Lighting_Index/PIR_Detectors/index.html

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Alarm_Index/Alarm_Pir_Dual_Tech/index.html

Peter
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:33:40 PM by HS93 »
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2011, 10:00:49 PM »
I've had a couple more little things gone missing. nothing major, just scraps that might have used for crazy inventions. We've now installed new locks and dead bolts on the house and shop. 2 of the 3 doors didn't have dead bolts. I use Vice-grips to lock the car door from the inside. The gates are always locked now. It's not too big of a pain now that I'm used to it. I'm making a security screen out of re-bar (I welded up most of it today) to go over the window on the man door in the shop and there will be a curtain on the inside. I have a cubbyhole for all my metal stock now. It will be moved there this weekend. When done it will look fenced off. I keep things I want in the back now and lock the doors when I leave. Even for a few minutes. My trailer now has a spot inside the fence and it will soon have a cover made to keep prying eyes out...

~Wes~

I'll post a few pictures this weekend.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Davo J

« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2011, 06:59:39 AM »
Hi,
Sorry to here of your problem with thieves. I am going through the same thing here at the moment.
Just on a month ago I had someone cut my rear chain wire fence and come up the paddock and steel my 2 dogs that where in a fully enclosed compound. The dogs where only a Labrador and a jack Russel so not expensive, but I think it was done so they could come back at a latter date, as these 2 would go off barking if anyone was around.
They were not after them for value as I have another dog further up which is a staffy bull terrier and worth a lot more than those 2 put together.

It had me worried as the last I saw them was at 11:30 at night and they where gone in the morning, so I started looking around for security cameras and stayed up each night and slept in the days until they arrived and where installed. I have a lot of gear in the shed and my some has $20.000 + tied up in motor bikes.

This is the set I ended up buying
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280674690847?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
And then I bought 4 more to make up the 16 cameras and some long leads to reach down the paddock.
We also bought a pack of stickers and put them all around to deter them from coming in.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160616648812?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
This might be an idea for you even if you don't put them up, though a couple of dummy cameras would make it look good.

I have added locks to every gate, double locks to the sheds and put everything away in the sheds so it is harder to get to.  We have lived here for 30 years and never had one thing stolen and previously we used to leave things laying around the yard as our yard has 6ft plus high fences all around except for the back one in the paddock and nothing is visible from the road. We only have neighbors on each side as we are semi rural, which have lived here for as long as us and are nice people.
I keep to myself around here so I am not sure who it is, but it's not a good felling knowing someone has been in.
They must of had leads for the dogs as they always ran up inside or to the back door when we let them out.

I will also be doing the windows like you are and look forward to seeing your pictures.
Years ago for the roller doors, I drilled a hole in both vertical tracks halve way up and welded nuts to them. I then bent a bolt at 90 degrees to go into them which screws up against the door to stop it opening. This bolt jambs the door between the bolt and the front of the track and the corrugations wont allow it past.

Dave

Offline snoopdog

« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2011, 02:10:47 PM »
I am on a private dead end road with a fenced yard,

This is my security system. Works great. Its been so many years since iv locked my house or shop that I not sure where the key is.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2011, 09:26:14 PM »
I welded up a screen to go over the window on the man door. It's made up of number 3 Re-bar and some old broken tools.

We'll paint the letters so it can be read easier. Now I just need to move some more stuff\o/

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2011, 02:37:55 AM »
Wes

I like that screen. Better make sure that it is well fastened down as it looks good enough to steal.   :lol: :lol:
I like it. You could probably make them up on a custom basis and sell them.  :nrocks: :nrocks:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2011, 04:41:43 AM »
Wes, I agree, I think you need to weld up a screen to protect the screen! Nice one, looks great.

Offline Davo J

« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2011, 08:52:21 AM »
What a master piece, that will keep them out. Maybe you could make it so if someone tampers with it the hammer will fall down and hit them on the head. LOL

Dave

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2011, 11:44:04 AM »
Thanks for the compliments guys. I don't think the door would hold another one :lol: There is 70 feet of re-bar in this one. I had to go and buy some more because the 60 feet I bought at first got all used up. Maybe I could design :smart: a roller to support the door when I open it?

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline loply

« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2011, 03:23:47 PM »
Personally I'm a believer that a brick garage can be made suitably secure just by engineering it correctly.

Metal bars over windows are an obvious one, and if you're really concerned weld them from box section and fill them with some kind of carbide/concrete mixture, making hack sawing impossible. A petrol powered grinder would do the job (eventually) but is obviously unlikely and loud.

As for doors, well steel is obviously the way again. Ensure to fit the wavey lock things on the hinge side such that removal of the hinges serves no purpose. Clearly the door frame can't be wood as it can just be broken, replace or reinforce with steel. Lastly the locks, to avoid picking and make it difficult to kick them through position one of the locks right at the top of the door where you can only just reach it, and another at normal height. The top lock will be a nightmare to pick and is difficult to get a good impact when kicking or hammering.

Obviously the door itself needs to be impenetrable so if it's a normal door then just pop some steel on it, if you have time weld up a steel door and face it with ply or some wood of your choice.

If you have some kind of rolley or vertical moving garage door, well, good luck, I haven't thought of a good way of securing such a thing. Personally I would replace it with two big swinging doors made from steel w/ a wooden facia.

Once you've done all that there's really only the roof to worry about and nothing big's going out that way, so...

Alarms are no good what so ever. Nobody listens to them. Stop them getting in is the only way.