Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Elbow Engine - epic failure but still hope!

<< < (2/3) > >>

raynerd:
I`m not talking about really having to force it around but there is certainly a little friction - how free should it be?

Chris

sbwhart:
Chris

with mine if I give it a spin from the fly wheel it'll do a good 1/2 doz revolutions.

Stew

raynerd:
 :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

No no...it doesn`t "spin", you can turn it with a little pressure and it rotates but it certainly isn`t free enough to spin. I think that perhaps my pistons are not exact enough and are therefore rubbing. It could be simply the fact that everything is out by a spidge and is causing it to bind. I`d have thought that if I was miles out in my machining then it simply wouldn`t turn at all, it must only be a smidge out. I`ve not given up yet.....!  :smart:

Chris

NickG:
That's the first thing I was going to say, where's the flywheel! You'll be very hard pushed to get it to run without one! Sounds like you have a friction issue too though!

Great effort though, keep going you'll solve it!

Nick

cedge:
That is the most deceptively simple engines you can build. The small number of "easy" to make parts has sucked a lot of us into the vortex of frustration when it came time to run it. My own version never ran more than a few turns at a time and I've always considered it a failure too. I am planning to revisit the little beggar now that I have a bit more accuracy at my disposal.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version