The Shop > Tools

ER collet sizes

(1/4) > >>

John Rudd:
Pardon my ignorance but I guess I should know this but....what is the difference between  ER25 and an ER32 ?

Darren:
The bigger the ER number the larger the collet sizes range covers.

There is also an ER40 and I'm not sure why I or others don't select that option?

I opted for the ER32 range and find them indispensable

John Rudd:
Thanks Darren...
Looks like I'll be addign a ER32 series set of collets and holder to my ' I'd like one of those please ' list

Stilldrillin:
The ER32 basic set from Arc, (now with added collets) works very well for me & my Chester Conquest.....  :thumbup:

David D

bogstandard:
John,

There is a rather large physical size difference over the whole range. With each jump up in the size range, because the collets are physically larger, then they can have larger holes in them. So the higher the number, the more collets in the set.

I think the range goes from ER16 which is minute when compared to an ER40. It is so that you can have a range that also  matches the machines they are designed to fit. The ER40 would be more suited to the Bridgeport and above sized machines (which can handle much larger cutters), whereas the ER16 would go well on a micro mill, which can only handle the smaller sized cutters. I think the ER32 size has become the standard to be fitted to the X2 and X3 sized machines.
The other main advantage of the ER system is that each collet has a full 1mm compression range. So even though they are marked up in mm they can also hold imperial cutters just as well.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version