Author Topic: What is wrong?  (Read 25920 times)

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
Re: What is wrong?
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 02:50:05 AM »
Hi Robert

Thanks for you input and comments, that fly wheel looks interesting your second picture especially I can see what you were trying to do, a pity it didn't come off, the basic idea seemed OK, perhaps you could have another go some time, you have to try these things and learn as you go.

Cheers

Stew

Ditto on the thanks.. The second flywheel I actually like better than what my first try was to be. It would of been a dull visual anyway even if the weird taper turned out
 ( a sure case of idea exceeding ability) The second version also gave me some insight on fitting parts. The rim is brass, the web is AL, the hub is two pieces of AL to make up a tapered lock arrangement. Them little studs to hold it together BLAH. Cutting out the radius on the web was the most fun. Rigged up a face plate and bored the radius out, rotated the part and repeated the op. Only have that little lathe so operations that would be done on a mill require some creativity, or in my case of not knowing any better, a doohickey to fashion the thing-a-ma-jig for the watch-a-ma-call-it.

I like reading this board, many good process's are played out. I have not seen any instance of "Mines better than yours" occur which speaks to the integrity of the members.

The general conversation of just a few regulars doing the posting seems to be a common one. I have humor, I'll be the first one to tell that guy in the mirror he's a nut and it shows in my writing style. I dont mind being told at all, constructive criticism is always appreciated and taken respectively.

So the next "Standing with Pride, lookie what I can do" will have pictures.

Robert

Ignorance is Bliss, thus I aim for Perfection

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 03:03:04 AM »

I would just like to add a thank you to Foozer above, for taking a bit of time out to let us know what he gets out of the site, and any comments like that are deeply appreciated.

Keep up the good work Foozer.

Bogs

No thanks needed, you do spend a lot of effort to make this hobby enjoyable. You take the time to write up how-to's for items you can do in your sleep on a bad day neck deep in snow with the dog chewing your slipper. You also do these in a language that is clear even for one like myself who never can get the terminology right.

Sure you have a toybox full of bells and whistles, but your presentations focus on the procedures to which one lacking that specific shinny thing can always do a work around to achieve the same end. Many ways to an end and your writings, methods always give enough leeway that even I manage to comprehend and adapt to usage with what I have at hand.

Must be late for me and way to much in the butter up section  :) I'd say grouchy old . . . but getting shot is something I'd like to avoid

Robert

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 03:11:36 AM »
Ok.... So this reply will be a little on topic a little off topic and a little fuzzy inbetween..... Why?

Because I'm human and that's what we do!

I've never ever been able to sit and talk to someone about a single subject in my life, I always end up on a random tangient talking about something very different than when I started! I do usually return to the point (not always!). That's just the way I am.

Now I'm assuming that many of you will be the same?  You get to know someone a bit and the conversations you have wander all over the place?

I've been posting on here for I think around a year? In that time I've posted all sorts of S417! 

But I've had a laugh and a joke, learned loads and hopefully helped, even inspired a few people along the way.... Surely that's what the forums are for?

Robert..... That middle picture looks like a brilliant idea.... :clap:  Try again and post the way you do it please.  You really should post this stuff..... Failure or not, it's damn good looking  :thumbup:

So is the second one..... I don't give a hoot if 300 people use the same idea, everyone always does something a little different!
It all helps create more ideas for others too  :thumbup:

It makes me a little sad to see this post becoming a bit of an argument..... I think it has nudged  :poke: a few people into realising that (I) they havn't been as active..... I'm just enjoying myself!!  ::)

Hoping for a happier outcome by the time I'm home from work?   :D

Ralph.  :wave:

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 03:48:31 AM »
Well....

As usual, I`ve landed here with it all having been said & discussed by many, far more eloquent than me.  ::)

What happened to the comment, some time ago, "like being down the pub with your pals"?
What is the off topic section for?

Hobby wise, I`m into rather mundane bits & pieces from odds & ends at the moment, with little new to show.
Other than MK 11 plastic pistons, & SEL wick holders on their way to Australia......  :D

We`re not all projecting all the time!

Personally, I thought we had settled down nicely....... Is it me?  ::)

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

bogstandard

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 04:28:54 AM »
David,

This topic was raised to cause a slight upset and to remind people that just a very tiny comment on someones post can make all the difference.

How would you feel if you had just spent three or four hours making up what you think is a very interesting post, and after it is posted, hardly any comments or questions appeared in relation to it.

Mainly because of the lethargy of other members.

It was purely done to shock those members into taking a little more notice of what they are reading and to take a little more interest in the site.

John

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2009, 04:59:57 AM »
I must admit I do not respond to every post I read  but I do try to acknowledge those who respond to mine.

Unfortunately I am on rather limited 'shed time' and I would find it quite a challenge to have something interesting to post each day,  thats my excuse anyway..

John
a.k.a The Artful Bodger
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2009, 05:02:51 AM »
David,

This topic was raised to cause a slight upset and to remind people that just a very tiny comment on someones post can make all the difference.

How would you feel if you had just spent three or four hours making up what you think is a very interesting post, and after it is posted, hardly any comments or questions appeared in relation to it.

Mainly because of the lethargy of other members.

It was purely done to shock those members into taking a little more notice of what they are reading and to take a little more interest in the site.

John

Ok John!

Agreed....... That has happened to me!  

I also have limited shed & computer time......  ::)

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2009, 05:04:45 AM »
...And there I was thinking the reason noone responded to my posts was because they were all asleep on the other side of the world! :doh:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2009, 05:20:23 AM »
I agree with bogs also, it is frustrating if you go to the time and effort of creating these fantastic write ups and you don't get much response. It can easily put you off doing it again.

As I said, I've done a couple of small ones and was please with the recognition / feedback they got, but it was really hard work. I hardly have enough time to make the things (maybe a few hours a week workshop time), writing them up as well adds about 50% more time on. So all I would say is that whilst there are a few members breaking their backs to make this forum great, not everybody has the time or will do do the same. I don't think that'll ever happen, to do that you need to spend a significant amount of time on here and a lot of people just can't do that. A lot of people see going on the internet as a fill in thing to do, not as a main interest. Model Engineering is probably my main interest yet I only usually spend probably an average of 15 mins a night on the forum plus a bit during break times at work, because there is so much else to do.

I'm sure people really appreciate the effort the main guys put in (I know I do, as it wouldn't be here without them), but it still won't make the forum higher up on other members' list of priorities, it's still just something to fill the time in.

All that said, I do agree with John's point that if people have time to read the topics then they should also have time to give at least a few words of feedback, encouragement or whatever it may be. It doesn't need to be War and Peace just something to recognise the effort show some respect and appreciation.

As this topic has proved, it is kind of annoying that people are more interested in any kind of debate / argument than technical posts the forum is intended for. I used to post on some car forums before I had changes in circumstances (wife & kids) and more often than not posts ended up which car was faster or better than which without any technical input pinging backwards and forwards, for that reason I only ever use them if I have a problem, but more often than not these days there is nobody there than can answer difficult questions. I guess that problem could happen here if we're not careful.

Nick

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2009, 06:01:34 AM »

As this topic has proved, it is kind of annoying that people are more interested in any kind of debate / argument than technical posts the forum is intended for. I used to post on some car forums before I had changes in circumstances (wife & kids) and more often than not posts ended up which car was faster or better than which without any technical input pinging backwards and forwards, for that reason I only ever use them if I have a problem, but more often than not these days there is nobody there than can answer difficult questions. I guess that problem could happen here if we're not careful.

Nick

I think that's the crux of this thread.....use it or loose it...
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline hitandmissman

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2009, 09:50:47 AM »
It seems this is true of all forums.  Now as for why I don't post--- well as a self taught,and I hate to call myself this-machinist, what I have to offer the forum is to be trueful, nothing.  I have serveral projects that I have started and put aside for various reason, mostly I don't know how to do something. But I do lurk here and find that the amount of knowledge that can be gained is fantastic.  But as John said at the start of this thread, people seem to want to debate about things.  So I find it best to just stay quiet and watch from the side lines.  Will I ever post something, yes if I think it is worth showing but anything I show will not hold a candle to what I see. But I hope those with the knowledge don't stop posting as it helps people like me a great amount just seeing how something, even if it is something I will never do, machined or set up to machine.  So with this said or tried to say, a very big thank to to all who do post.
hitandmissman

bogstandard

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2009, 10:24:33 AM »
H&M,

Whether it be a bent nail in a bit of wood, or a cutaway section of the Titanic, everyone should be entitled to show their work, whether good or bad, and receive merit for it.

It is the taking part that counts, not the quality of the work. If you have made it, be proud of it. We all had to start somewhere.

I got a competition going over on HMEM, to make a finger engine in the shortest possible time. I think there were about a dozen entries at the end, and a few of them were stunning in their simplicity and how well they worked. The winning one I think, was one made from a tin can. But the one which stuck in everyones mind was when one chappie was playing his vid, the flywheel fell off, and not intentionally, and all you could hear in the background was laughter. Now that chap knew he wasn't going to win, because he had made such a rotten job of it, but he still took part, and wasn't ashamed of showing his results.

That is how a forum should be, and this one is, if only we can get a few more people involved, even showing the not too successful projects.

John

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2009, 10:26:11 AM »
It seems this is true of all forums.  Now as for why I don't post--- well as a self taught,and I hate to call myself this-machinist, what I have to offer the forum is to be trueful, nothing.  I have serveral projects that I have started and put aside for various reason, mostly I don't know how to do something. But I do lurk here and find that the amount of knowledge that can be gained is fantastic.  But as John said at the start of this thread, people seem to want to debate about things.  So I find it best to just stay quiet and watch from the side lines.  Will I ever post something, yes if I think it is worth showing but anything I show will not hold a candle to what I see. But I hope those with the knowledge don't stop posting as it helps people like me a great amount just seeing how something, even if it is something I will never do, machined or set up to machine.  So with this said or tried to say, a very big thank to to all who do post.

That right there is a reason to post in itself. You could get answers as to how to do something. Finish those projects! we will help however we can. I wouldn't worry about being embarrassed to show something because you think it isn't good enough... it always will be good enough to show. Please, post up.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2009, 10:45:56 AM »
H&M,

Whether it be a bent nail in a bit of wood, or a cutaway section of the Titanic, everyone should be entitled to show their work, whether good or bad, and receive merit for it.

John

Well here's my "bent nail in a piece of wood", what did I do wrong?  :lol:

I'll be back on Sunday night to find out the answer. Need to go get the wife from the vacation camp.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2009, 10:59:45 AM »
Debate.... Quite humourously John you've started one that will get a great deal of replies ( I know that was probably the idea, and yes I had to put my oar in too  :thumbup:)

I just like this place a lot..... It's fun.

This thread has now taken on a life of it's own..... As they always do!  :lol:

Now then, that said.....

Hitandmissman,
since you will no doubt see this.....I'll ask you, Please don't be shy.

If you want to see the first effort I hit HMEM with and thought I'd get laughed at then here it is.... (just look at the way I was beating the thing half to death trying to get a runner! A lot of members here might not have seen this ::) )   I got a few positive lines of text from some and a lot of help from others relating to geometry and mass of the flywheel etc.

I understand the feelings involved in posting your work. If the replies had gone badly then I suspect I'd have still tried and would not have given up on engines or showing them. I might just have not had the same drive?
As it was it led to the completion of two other engine related builds that I am very proud of (even if there is a wobble.... I need to concentrate on workholding etc!)

Point being... There are no people here that will knock you down (except maybe in safety issues), most will help till they can type no more.
Why? Because we like to see others work doing what it should or looking good or getting better, because the reply usually comes with an obvious smile in the post.
This makes us feel better too (well it does me)  :thumbup:

I'm going to try and hit the 'shop tonight..... I have a backlog to get upto date on and the weather sucks..... Perfect for a 'shop evening!  :nrocks:

Ralph. (I started this post miles before Bog's and Eric posted theirs...... I think I'm just slow??  :scratch: )

Just seen this............. 
Well here's my "bent nail in a piece of wood", what did I do wrong?

I think there is something about driving nails into knots.... Dunno much about the black art of "wood"  :lol:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2009, 01:10:59 PM »

I'll be back on Sunday night to find out the answer. Need to go get the wife from the vacation camp.

Bernd

Bernd

I think you have 2 choices on this one. :doh:

1. Pre drill before driving nail.

2. Use a better grade of nail, possibly concrete nail.

hope this helps

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline usn ret

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2009, 01:14:33 PM »
Hello boys and [girls?].  Have been on the road for most of the summer as we have grandkids and birthdays scattered all over California and family in Arizona. On the road again!!!! The shop/garage tend to be a little warm in the summer here in the Calif desert, daytime temps tend to be in the 90-110F outside and of course minimal air circulation adds to feeling of too hot for now.  Can't have sweat dripping on that fresh shiny new bit, can we?  The little shop time I get is spent working on the Triumph TR7 engine swap, all the bracketery is done and now trying to sort out the wiring harness for the engine/fuel injection. I would rather be making something other than chasing a wire only to find out "YOU CUT THE WRONG WIRE"!!!!!!! :zap: Chasing wires is about as much fun as getting a 'root canal'.  When the temps drop I will go back to making chips.  While on the road computer time is limited therefore I pop in for a quick look and go on.  
The main reason I signed on to this forum was that I noticed that the rooky/newby was not talked down to and suppportive comments were offered to encurage and compliment his/her efforts.  SO, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
CLIFF :coffee:
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2009, 02:22:16 PM »
... The little shop time I get is spent working on the Triumph TR7 engine swap, all the bracketery is done and now trying to sort out the wiring harness for the engine/fuel injection. ...

How about some pictures/build thread on the TR7? Those are neat little cars...

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

bogstandard

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2009, 02:44:17 PM »
Bernd,

What do you mean? I can't see you have done anything wrong.

What a great project, frugalistic house furniture.

I await your finishing the project, just two more holes to drill, and it will be ready for mounting on the wall.

I also like the dual purpose use as well, with the perfect selection of nail length and bending angle, so that it can be used as either a hat OR coat hanger.

I've got to make me a few of those. :thumbup:

Bogs

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2009, 04:40:47 PM »
Ok.... So this reply will be a little on topic a little off topic and a little fuzzy inbetween..... Why?

Robert..... That middle picture looks like a brilliant idea.... :clap:  Try again and post the way you do it please.  You really should post this stuff..... Failure or not, it's damn good looking  :thumbup:

It was a little too ambitious for my skill level and the accuracy of my lathe. Shot shows the jig used, piece mounted on a faceplate at an angle. Has a little pointy that engages the outer rim index holes which as I rotated the part to the next position. They got to be "Spot On"  and well it got ugly. The offset angle has to be accounted for as it altered the center line. Little more than I could do with a stone axe and flint knife. Was fun tho to give it a shot. learned a lot of "not to do's" first being weigh big idea against reality :), ensure piece has more back support so it don't rock as it gets clamped down, make sure when you do the opposite side, your on the same set of index marks,  surprise surprise, but, naw, what fun is that.

Ill give it another shot as I improve my own ability. Think tho I'll use AL, less tears over the scrap.

Robert

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2009, 09:42:46 PM »
Just for you John, I have posted another topic in the 'wood and stuff' section. :med:

Offline DavesWimshurst

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2009, 11:44:58 PM »
H&M,

John

Bernd

I do knot know! :scratch:
Dave

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2009, 08:43:54 AM »
Ill give it another shot as I improve my own ability. Think tho I'll use AL, less tears over the scrap.

Good Stuff Robert, Looking forward to the post...... I'm intregued by the look of it..... I like oddities when it comes to the final look of any work  :)

Brass is a little pricey to do a test on..... But the ali isn't that far behind  :jaw:

Going to search for John Hills wood post now  :)

Ralph.

Offline Stefan Pynappels

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2009, 11:46:15 AM »
I enjoy reading posts, I just don't have any machinery of my own to make my own shavings. I got some shop time with Spuddevans yesterday and I loved it, but I feel like I can't post about what I'm not doing, and cannot do at the moment. Does not stop me reading and admiring other peoples work though. Will post a topic on last night though....

bogstandard

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2009, 04:27:54 PM »
Spynappels, Sleppanyps, whatever,

It doesn't matter if you have no machinery. Remember, this isn't a model engineering site, as a lot of people think, it is a projects site, where almost anything goes. It is just that the few who do model engineering usually have a lot more gas in them than everyone else, so we have to get rid of the gas somewhere, it just happens to be here.

You don't even have to make anything, if you see something you like, make a comment, such as oooh! or aaaah! or what a load of crap. Everything here is taken with a pinch of salt, and I don't think anyone on here would be offended by a little bit of constructive criticism. Just don't ever post your full address.

So machinery or not, everyone on here likes to think that at least someone is taking a bit of an interest in what they are doing, and a little comment by someone such as yourself, can make all the difference between the post being abandoned or flourishing.

If you want to know something or don't understand what you have seen or read, the experience of all the members on here can surely help in that situation, or knows a man who can.

So just do as you are doing, pop a little post or reply when you feel like you can, and you will be welcomed with open arms.

Bogs (John)