Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Rocking Engines

(1/11) > >>

sbwhart:
When I was skiming through the John Tom drawings I saw the rocking engine  :nrocks: and thought it was a osilating engine and passed it by, the name intreged me so a few days later I went back for another look, that,s when I got another dose of  :proj: its small size suites the type of work I like doing and it looked like It could be a weekend project, and as I'm going to retire in two weeks I thought it would make a nice presents for couple of work friends.

It's also a good delaying tactic to avoid assembling the loco, perhaps it would boost my enthuseasm.

These are the drawings
http://www.john-tom.com/MyPlans/SteamPlans3/RockingSteamEngine/ROCKING%20STEAM%20ENGINEs.pdf

Any of you chaps made this engine ?

I'm a great beliver that its just as easy to make two of something

First job do all the turning bits.

I made the two cylinders together to speed up the work, turned the OD of the cylinders to the size of the square diagonal, put a groove to show where the join would be, and used a 3/8" end mill to finish off the flat bottom hole.

To mill the square set up in vice touch down on the job set DRO to zero mill off 1/2 the difference of the diameter and across flat size you want zero DRO, flip it over 90 deg with the flat against the vice jaw mill down to zero flip it over 90, mill off the remaining difference zero dro, flip it over finish off other side you've got a square.

To mill out the pocket for the crank I used a long reach 1/8 slot drill set the job up in the mill with the vice stop, milled the first pocket out zeroing everything up, turned it round and making sure it was up against the stop and milled the seconf pocket working up to the zeros, the same routine was done for the crank and stand holes.

For the flywheel turned down the bar to size then transfered them over to the RT in the mill and drilled the spoke holes deep enough to make two fly wheels.

This is one engine finished off with the second waiting for the flywheel

Does it work

NO  :bang:

If you look at the photo showing the finished engine it sitting on a pad with a lot of figures on it, what this is about is for some reason the piston was bottoming in the cylinder, a quick measure and a calculation and yes I'd drilled them wrong  :doh:  I'll just have to make again.

Slightly frustrated

Stew

bogstandard:
Stew,

Does measure twice, cut once spring to mind.

A real bummer, but actually I wasted some time today, making a couple of bits. But it wasn't my fault. You will need to read the post on the little engine I am restoring, when eventually it is posted.

So you are not alone.

HEADLINES

The sky falls on Crewe, two machinists in a bad mood and brassed off.

Bogs

sbwhart:
Hi John

It must be something in the water.

:lol:  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

You've got to laugh.

Stew

raynerd:
Looks like a nice little engine and not all the parts are wasted right? Post us some pictures when you re-do it and get it running....  :poke:

Chris

Stilldrillin:
Oh, BUGGA!!!   :doh:

But, they do look really nice & purposeful......  :wave:

David D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version