The Shop > Tools

Makita Chop Saw - just got one and a huge thumbs up!

(1/7) > >>

raynerd:
My brother in law came to my house a few weeks ago with a gift, it was his dads and he didn`t want it any more and so I became the proud owner of a Mikita Chop Saw 2414NB. I only just got a suitable 14" disk for this a few days ago and I can`t tell you how impressed I am with it. Cuts through all my bits like butter and a 3" ally bar that took me 20 minutes to hack through a few months ago took me seconds with this...

Anyone have anything similar? Now I haven`t ever owned or seen a power hacksaw or bandsaw in use - but I`m really impressed with this chop saw and would love to know how a band saw or power hacksaw differs in terms of its purpose?

Anyone have one of these or something similar - how do you rate it?

Chris

Darren:
Chris,

I'm not sure I'd be cutting ally with this type of saw? It's not what it's designed for, the ally could clog the blade and it could grab.....you don't want to know what might happen next........

There are some posts on here about saws..... :thumbup:

Bluechip:
Good bit of kit ... my mate has one (DeWALT),uses it on ally,  IIRC with a 'negative rake' blade ..

He cuts stuff for me. I'm not allowed to use it .. Elfin etc. etc.

OK by me, I get to watch him do it, while I'm swilling coffee ..

dave

Darren:
Neg rake blade ok, but aren't these machines a bit fast for those blades?

these saws usually have fibre blades in them.

Chris what is the blade made from?

raynerd:
Darren - As aluminium is my main metal I was going to buy the evolution ally cutting disk but reading some forums on the net, apparently the steel disk cuts ally well with a few squirts of WD40 as a help. No clogging or problems so far and I`ve cut down a fair bit now. To be honest - it had cut through it within seconds. I understand your thinking and it was a concern of mine when choosing the disk but so far so good ... I use it outside on the flags so it isn`t going anywhere if it does clog.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version