Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Bandsaw Mod

(1/4) > >>

Darren:
Whilst the common generic Chinese bandsaw that many of us have is a very versatile tool to have in the workshop, it does have one small annoying habit.

Cutting short pieces can present some problems when trying to hold securely in the vice. I have seen many adaptations on the net to overcome this issue, inc screwing a small vice to a block of wood, but none are perhaps as simple a solution as this idea.

The problem

As you can see the moveable vice jaw is easily cantilevered holding short pieces. The work piece is not only insecure, it's hardly held at all.

Some people insert another piece of similar size stock in the jaw in an attempt to keep it parallel. I find that even if you have another piece of stock of the same size it does interfere with the clamping pressure of the piece to be cut. esp if it's really short and only just held by the jaws.
If you have nothing similar in size then you are sunk.

A simple solution.

Remove the jaw and drill and tap a thread. I chose 6mm, but it could be anything that fits.

By using a bolt, or even a bit of threaded bar there is now all the adjustment that could ever be needed. No need for spanners and lock nuts, just adjust with fingers and leave it loose for ease of future adjustments.

Its simple and effective. The movable jaw can even be slid right over towards the blade to give a firmer hold.

My excuses. I could have turned up something fancy, but have you seen the state of my bandsaw.... :bugeye:

John Stevenson:
Yup did that 20 years ago.

Also handy to use a couple of vee blocks to hold short rounds.

John S.

Darren:
There you go then, I got something right  :ddb:

bogstandard:
Darren,

I keep saying this over and over again.

There is very little new on the mechanical side any more, just old ideas being rediscovered over and over again. Just given a new coat of paint. They have been at it for hundreds of years.

I am sure if you can think of a fix similar to this, someone, somewhere has already got the jump on you.

It is for that reason I read very old engineering books, a lot of the 'tricks' have been forgotten or fallen into disuse over time, and you can get a new slant on how to do modern day things using old techniques. People think you are some sort of magician when you solve a problem for them, but all you are doing is bringing old techniques back to life. Very little brainpower required, just the ability to read a little, and retain the info for future use.

John

John Stevenson:
Bastard, don't tell him all the tricks there has to be some advantage in being an old codger....................

John S.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version