Author Topic: Morse Taper Ejector on Clausing Mill  (Read 13769 times)

Offline DavesWimshurst

Morse Taper Ejector on Clausing Mill
« on: July 03, 2009, 01:16:27 AM »
The discussion on beating on stuck morse tapers prompts me to show my solution on a Clausing 8520 mill.  This machine uses #2 morse taper collets.  I don't know if it is standard but the upper end of the spindle of my mill is threaded 3/4 inch 16 tpi.

The drawbar nut was somewhat larger than this so I made an adapter nut give me a larger threaded end on the spindle which can remain in place:

It is threaded 1 inch 14 tpi to match a standard size:

In place:

The ejector tool was threaded to fit  the above part on one end and bored to clear the drawbar parts stopping about 1/2 inch short of the other end.  This end was drilled and tapped for a 3/8" cap screw.  A handle was made and installed in the screw:

To use it the drawbar is loosened and the tool is screwed onto the top of the spindle:

A piece of wood is placed under the lower end to catch the cutter if I am prematurely successful!

If the drawbar is not too tight turning the capscrew while holding the spindle in place by the drive belts suffices to release the tool.  If badly stuck a special wrench can be used:

It fits over the head of the screw on top and engages the cross handle.  I find that if stuck hard leaving pressure on the ejector tool for a few minutes it will loosen on its own!  I have found it seems to get stuck hard if I leave a tool in the collet for several days.
Before making this tool I had to resort to heavy hammers and stern words to get the tool unstuck.  It seemed like cruel treatment for such a cute mill:

Dave

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Morse Taper Ejector on Clausing Mill
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 02:10:48 AM »
Screw eject!  :bugeye:

That`s a great idea Dave. Well done!  :clap:

Hmmmm........  :scratch:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 03:19:07 AM »
Dave,

A very nice solution to an age old problem. Isn't it marvelous what the mind can come up with when given a problem to solve.

I don't think most mills have the threads on the top of the spindle, maybe it was an addition by the machine manufacturers who forsaw the problem. Having that on yours really helped. But I have seen them with a few threads on the inside rather than the outside, maybe members could check theirs and if they are present, use a method very similar to yours.

I used the age old method of a lead hammer, and supporting the quill on a piece of tube, thus causing no damage, but it did mean I had to recast hammers at a fair rate, as they soon ended up totally misshapen.

John

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 03:45:42 AM »
Now, if I could sort out out some means of locating to the spindle locknut..... Or screwing it`s od.........  :thumbup:

Hmmmm....... (Again).  :scratch:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 04:13:22 AM »
That is neat David...... :clap:

I might have a look at this idea for the Sealey mill cos it sure needs something. I believe someone mentioned something like this before, but I just didn't get the concept.

I do now...... :)

Thanks for posting...and if you are hiding any more little marvels please bring them forward.... :thumbup:

BTW, nice mill you have there....
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Splat

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 02:41:33 PM »
Necroposting. Dave, that's a great idea. I need to do this for my Johannson B12 mill, the precursor to the Atlas/Clausing 8520. My spindle top is exactly like yours, but I have a big threaded nut that threads onto that outer 3/4-16 threading. It has a set screw on each side to keep it from spinning off, I guess. How's your ejector tool holding up? Any design changes, etc? Thanks.

Offline Sea.dog

• Up Spirits!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 04:14:57 PM »
He's not logged in in over two years.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 01:53:26 AM »
My solution was to tap the bore 1/2" X 32 and make a double ended draw bar 10mm X 1.5 , so the head moves less than half the distance of the draw bar , it's still working after 5 years on my MT3 collets .
Jeff