Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Planetary gear

(1/2) > >>

J. Tranter:
 Ok so I have a set of planetary gears I got out of an old drill. Now I'm looking for a projest for them.

So the question is, what would you make with them?

John T.

bogstandard:
John, bad question and leaving yourself wide open.

Are you wanting to go into interplantary travel, as in Star Trek, or more earthly things ? :lol:

But joking aside, knowing what you are 'in to' would definitely help. Are you looking at say tooling or incorporating it into a model of some sort. I am sure the lads could come up with all sorts of answers with a slight nudge in the required direction. Or do you just want to use them for the sake of it, and any suggestion will do?

I think making a reduction gearbox for an electric drill is a bit too obvious. Maybe a speed increase unit of some sort. Gearboxes lend themselves quite well to working opposite from what their original concept was, but it could only be used for very light applications, purely because of how the gearbox works, say a super hi speed drilling machine.

John

J. Tranter:

--- Quote from: bogstandard on June 30, 2009, 11:28:45 PM ---John, bad question and leaving yourself wide open.

Are you wanting to go into interplantary travel, as in Star Trek, or more earthly things ? :lol:

--- End quote ---

More earthly. I'm just trying to find ideas of what to use them on. I also have an 80 and 71 tooth gears that came in the drill.

So tooling or models it doesn't matter.

John T.

sbwhart:
Hi John

John Bogs showed me a nice little poppet valve engine he'd made using gears, that would be a nice little project.

Stew

S_J_H:
I built a nice reduction gearbox from a Makita drill. It is a 3speed planetary gearset. I machined a housing from 6061 aluminum and 660 bronze.

This gearbox is mounted on the horizontal boring mill/lathe I built last year.
The ratios are 65:1, 40:1 and 12.5:1.
It has a detent clutch which is adjustable. It runs very quietly and can handle about 1hp.

This is all of the gears I used from the Makita drill-

The assembled 3 speed planetary unit-

This is the housing viewed from the input side-

the output side, shown packed-

The finished gearbox mounted on the boring mill-

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version