The Shop > Tools

Measuring backlash on rotary table

<< < (2/2)

philf:
Dell,

To determine whether you could even consider backlash compensation I'd try the following:

Move the handwheel about a tenth of a turn. Check the backlash (using the divisions on the handwheel)and repeat until you've done a full revolution. If you get variations in backlash then your worm is running eccentrically.

Next revolve the table a tenth of a turn (whole numbers of turns of the handwheel) and note the backlash. Repeat for one revolution of the table. If there's a big variation then your wheel is running eccentrically.

You may find that at some point there's zero backlash and in that case there's no way of adjusting any of it out - without machining!

As has already been said you probably needn't worry about the backlash compensation but, if there are inconsistent results from the above tests, you'd probably introduce more problems than you solve.

Phil.

Dell:
Thanks for all replies
Haven’t done any more recently due to having a few clocks to service but hopefully now I have caught up I can get back onto it, I want to be able to cut clock wheels & pinions .
Dell

philf:

--- Quote from: Dell on April 18, 2024, 10:46:19 AM ---Thanks for all replies
Haven’t done any more recently due to having a few clocks to service but hopefully now I have caught up I can get back onto it, I want to be able to cut clock wheels & pinions .
Dell

--- End quote ---

Then I don't think you need to worry about compensating for backlash as you'd generally be working in one direction only and could lock the rotary table (which I assume you can use vertically as well as horizontally.)

Phil.

Dell:
It seems that backlash compensation is done by going back how ever many steps set in settings then forward to position but as philf said I should normally only be going in one direction most of the time.
Dell

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version