Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Rotary Table Centreing

<< < (2/6) > >>

Bluechip:
Hi Troops ..

Many thanks..

That answers my question perfectly.

I'm going up the wall with this milling machine .. should have bought a goldfish or summat instead  :(

Makes sense with a finger type DTI.  Why didn't I think of that.  :bang:

But it does raise another question. What happens if the spindle is not truly vertical ? Surely this would affect the DTI reading ?

I'm not sure how to tram the thing either..

With a tilting head, it must be possible to have the head not parallel to the column, but the column mis-aligned the other way, thus making the head appear at right angles to the bed ??
Surely this would appear to tram correctly ??

I have used a fly cutter in mine, and I get a pretty nice pattern of arcs, so I guess it's near. I have trammed it with a DTI, and it says about .0012 error over some 11", I reckon this is OK for me. Should it be better ?? What should I adjust, column or head ?

Warco WM16 machine.

Thanks again, sure Ill get it right one day

Dave

bogstandard:

--- Quote from: Bluechip on June 27, 2009, 02:11:38 PM ---
Makes sense with a finger type DTI.  Why didn't I think of that.  :bang:

--- End quote ---

Dave,

If you could think of everything, you wouldn't need help off anyone to do anything.

Your tram sounds fine, just a bit more than one thou over 11", most people would be VERY happy if they could get that accurate.

You either love or hate milling machines, I think it is because there are so many places you can easily make a mistake.
With a lathe it is fairly straight forwards, basically you mainly only use X and Y axis, and the material is usually in the same place each time.

With a mill, the material can be anywhere in relation to the tool.
Until you get to the stage where your movements become instinctive when moving the controls, it is very easy to make a mistake.

It is all to do with practice and experience, and normally you will go thru a frustration phase where nothing seems to go right, bad finishes, wrong sizes, broken tooling etc. All of a sudden a little light will come on and things will start to fall into place. Only then will you start to really enjoy yourself, and make bits and pieces how you want them to turn out.

Under no circumstances give up on it yet, you are most probably only a hop, skip and jump away.

John

Darren:

--- Quote from: bogstandard on June 27, 2009, 03:08:45 PM ---

It is all to do with practice and experience, and normally you will go thru a frustration phase where nothing seems to go right, bad finishes, wrong sizes, broken tooling etc. All of a sudden a little light will come on and things will start to fall into place. Only then will you start to really enjoy yourself, and make bits and pieces how you want them to turn out.

Under no circumstances give up on it yet, you are most probably only a hop, skip and jump away.

John

--- End quote ---

Spot on John.... :thumbup:

I was only visiting that place myself no so long ago, the light has finally come on. It's dim, but it's on .... :lol:

Dave, hang in there and just ask if you are uncertain.... :dremel:

I have learnt more here in six mths than twenty struggling on my own....

John Stevenson:
I have taught myself all I know and I still know nothing...................

John S.

Darren:

--- Quote from: John Stevenson on June 27, 2009, 03:18:13 PM ---I have taught myself all I know and I still know nothing...................

John S.

--- End quote ---

Come now, some of us might miss the bus a little too often but we aren't that slow......  :) :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version