Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Surface grinder concept/project

<< < (2/4) > >>

BillTodd:
It's just the as difficult to find a small grinder over here,  the few that are around are old a often knackered.  Indeed, it was the lack of small grinders in Germany that led Stefan Goteswitner to buy his "crazy expensive" Bema , and inspired this project.

The market for small grinders must be too small for manufacturers to make s profit, although, t am surprised the Chinese haven't had a go :⁠-⁠)

Joules:
Over the years I  have looked at Warco's little surface grinder and many years ago ordered one they had on offer, but the offer was recinded a few days after my order placed !!!   The price of them now is such that they are beyond my budget.  I did try to get bogstandards Warco grinder but I was one down on the buyer list.   I now limit my surface grinding to what I can fit on a D bit grinder, far from ideal but better than nothing.

jackary:
This is my small surface grinder. I made it from the bottom half of a Dore Westbury Milling machine and fitted a modified large Lathe toolpost grinder for the grinding wheel.  The table runs on small ball races spaced and adjusted to just touch the underside of the table. After much adjusting/experiment it now works very well.
Alan

BillTodd:
Nice Alan,

What size motor is that?  The blue one modelled abive is 200w but I have a not too much bigger with more power (500+watts ?)

jackary:
Hi Bill,
I think its a half HP 3phase motor. I had a lot of trouble with  the original 1 HP USA motor that came with the grinding head. It created terrible vibrations on the ground surface. I bought a new uk Half HP motor on Ebay but that was not very much better. I then swapped it with my Clarkson grinder motor and that solved the problem. I suppose this motor was specially balanced for grinding but I can not see any special reference to it. I will look at it tomorrow and give you better details.
Alan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version