Author Topic: What does your family know about your machines?  (Read 2095 times)

Offline RotarySMP

What does your family know about your machines?
« on: June 11, 2023, 06:28:45 AM »
My sister got a shop tour from my wife. I filmed it :

Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: What does your family know about your machines?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 07:34:17 AM »
Mark watching your video it very much resonated with my experience. I've said before on this forum that people arround the world know what I'm doing in my workshop but despite trying to keep her 'in the loop' the wife hasn't a clue!

She's just flown to Houston to stay with our son, and I'm spending hours a day watering an inordinate number of pot plants, hanging baskets, and a green house and two polytunnels to say nothing of the outside horticultural bit. And I don't even like spinach and fuzzy lettuce ! God help me if anything dies (OH yes her sheep as well - I forgot those!) .

Now I wonder if I went away and left a list of 'need to do's ' behind what sort of reaction I'd get.

BUT it's a given that things are expected to be mended pronto when they fail !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 08:44:03 AM »
Yeah, You are way better equipped for "honey-Do's than I am Andrew.
Last week I fixed the washing machine, where the drum hanging springs wore through the sheet metal support beam. Not a mention :)
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Offline philf

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 04:27:09 PM »
My wife hasn't a clue about what's in my workshop. (Or what I paid for the equipment and tooling.) I think she could tell a mill from a lathe but that's about it.
Phil Fern

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 06:06:12 PM »
Hi All,
My wife God Bless Her has a fair idea about the goings on in the garage/sheds.
She is however at a bit of a loss as to why I "needed" to buy another lathe recently  :bugeye:
In my explanation I likened it to buying a newer car with less mileage and a better shine
Now I need to sell the Colchester Triumph 2000 short bed and the Harrison 165 to recoup some of the money :palm:
I was able to try the new Colchester at the premises where it was for sale, So smooth and quiet(er) than my old beast, They kept it for finish work only it previously was in a print works
It will be a big loss to me that the very local engineering shop owners have retired and liquidated the business
I was a frequent caller to buy off cuts of material, payment was usually a contribution to the "Tea " fund
I do not know where to start looking now as all the old engineering shops are gone  :( :(

John

Offline pycoed

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 03:56:22 AM »
Same with my wife – last time I left the workshop door unguarded & she came in, after an inspection of an ancient rickety Drummond, my Kerry & M250 then a Meddings drill press & a Nutool ditto, she pointed at the mill & said “What’s wrong with you, you only have one of those?”.
Of course I pointed out the lack of available space…. (Workshop extension is currently under way heh! heh!)

She is actually in no position to criticise, since I counted 6 loppers of various descriptions last time I looked in the potting shed...

Offline Muzzerboy

• The Mighty Shiz
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 10:56:06 AM »
My wife walked past my Bridgeport for 3 years on the way out to her car and back each day. When we moved back to the UK and I got the workshop set up again, she asked me where the machine had come from. I don't think she has a clue what it does mind, nor the other 3 machines in there.....