Author Topic: John from Cumbria  (Read 5501 times)

Offline john11668

John from Cumbria
« on: July 18, 2023, 05:24:38 PM »
Hi Folks and thanks for adding me .

I am John,  a retired engineer from Carlisle , and I have a few machines keeping me sane in retirement . These include a Colchester Bantam Lathe and a Deckel FP1 mill .
During lockdowns I added a CNC function to the mill by planting an X,Y table on it , which I had converted to NC using Mach 3 but subsequently went to UCCNC

I also upgraded a Boxford TCL lathe using mach 3 but could not get reliable threading.
I have just obtained a Denford Mirac and am hoping that I will find it a bit more up to the job. Hoping I will find a couple of Soulmates here to help me with the project .
T I A

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: John from Cumbria
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 01:55:07 AM »
Welcome aboard John.

Sounds like you’ll fit in just fine !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline philf

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 05:03:29 AM »
Hi John,

Welcome.

I think the problem with Mach3 and threading on a lathe is the fact that it will only take one pulse per revolution of the spindle. I guess this is OK if you have a powerful and heavy lathe where the cut doesn't affect the speed.

I have a CNC mill using Mach3. What advantage do you see in using UCCNC?

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline john11668

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 08:41:32 AM »
One issue I was having , and I was advised to go for the UC100 controller , which worked more happily with UCCNC. Cant remember what that issue was.
Havent used that for a while as I am converting an Elliot  mill  and intend to move the control system over .  I needed the Deckel to do some manual milling.

Busy with the Mirac at the moment   and was interested by A Mirac project I saw on here .  Am about to look it out!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2023, 11:56:49 AM »
That was probably my Mirac rebuild thread. “
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex