Author Topic: Rocketronics electronic leadscrew  (Read 6083 times)

Offline Dell

• anniversary-clocks.co.uk
Rocketronics electronic leadscrew
« on: April 13, 2023, 11:37:31 AM »
Hi all
I have just bit the bullet and ordered the complete Rocketronics leadscrew kit because my hand are getting worse, I have looked at lots of YouTube videos on the subject and although expensive when leadscrew and crosslide are automated it will do a lot of turning and threading automatically, I haven’t received the kit yet because it’s coming from Germany.
It looks like I will be able to fit closed loop stepper behind headstock and the encoder where the change wheels were and all without drill ing hole or cutting anything out but we will see.
This is the same kit I have ordered

Old man but still learning

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Rocketronics electronic leadscrew
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 01:45:46 PM »
Looks like an interesting project - do keep us up to date  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Dell

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 03:09:13 PM »
As I haven’t received the parts yet I can’t do to much although tracking saying it’s in UK and I have made the mounting for the stepper with adjustment fore and aft and to tension the belt, I will take a picture tomorrow.
Dell

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 11:00:50 AM »
I am keen to see how it works!
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Dell

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 02:39:05 PM »
Here is the picture of the steeper mounting on the back of the headstock using the two original motor mount bolts, yes I know I drilled the plate in the wrong place but as it’s only a foot plate to mount the motor I am not too worried about it, the pulley’s turns up today and what a load of crap they are , that will teach me to buy cheap, ordered some replacements from a different company and the others are going back.
Dell

Offline Dell

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 02:40:43 PM »
Not sure where the picture got to.

Offline Dell

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 12:39:21 PM »
Well the parts turned up today from Rocketronics after a delay due to HMRC wanting an extra £160 vat and import duty ( ripoff Britain again) , the new pulley’s have been posted, got the second set from a company in Rugby so should be here by the W/E so now the fun begins, watch this space🤪
Dell

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 01:29:36 PM »
Were you unaware of the import duty and VAT when you made your purchase decision ?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Dell

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2023, 01:40:06 PM »
I purchased over £500 worth of goods from PeWe tools in Germany about two months ago without any extra vat or duty, so no I wasn’t expecting it but it’s done now and I hope it lives up to expectations.
Dell

Offline Dell

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2023, 11:06:49 AM »
A bit of an update on the journey Got a bit more done to the ELS but still waiting for the pulley’s to turn up , supposed to have been here Friday according to tracking just shows it’s not worth paying extra for next day delivery, anyway the stepper is fitted and the encoder, need to change the cap head on the stepper to countersink when they get here .
Dell

Offline Dell

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 02:09:23 PM »
am hoping someone on here is up on electronics, I am a bit confused the connection from driver to ELS said can be wired directly or alternatively use an Rj45 but driver end has red to pul+,dir+,and ena+, but if I use Rj45 ( although I am not ) it won’t have red piggybacked so do I need to do that or would it be linked internally?
thanks in advance Dell

Offline philf

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2023, 04:14:04 PM »
Hi Dell,

I'm sure you need to connect PUL+, DIR+ and ENA+ on your drive together and to the +5v on your ELS. (As in the diagram.)

The driver will have an opto-isolator input and the ELS will ground the other side of the opto when the output is active.

Cheers.

Phil.

EDIT: Here's a diagram of a typical controller/driver interconnection showing the opto-isolators on the input to the driver:

« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 08:04:22 AM by philf »
Phil Fern

Offline Dell

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2023, 10:40:52 AM »
Thanks for that philf
Finally finished fitting the X stepper today, the end of the leadscrew had no thread on the last 12mm but was tapered so I turned it true using a graver then used a length of 10mm silver steel bored a hole to suit the leadscrew and then drilled both for a pin but I also used locktite, so that is all the mechanical work finished now also been doing some of the wiring while I am waiting for the new encoder to arrive .
Dell

Offline Dell

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2023, 03:32:55 AM »
am trying to get to grips with my Rocketronics ELS ( threading) there are a few parameters I need to put into the controller before auto threading, pitch (metric ), ( if imperial tpi convert to metric) length of thread, depth of cut, angle of cut, it’s the depth of thread I am having trouble with, a google search turns up 6 or more formulas for working out, same on YouTube so I am totally confused ( not difficult at my age ) , if it wasn’t auto threading it would be a trial & error method cut try a nut cut and so on, I am sure someone on here will have a definitive answer.
Some of the clocks pre 1900 I do the manufacture had there own thread forms and they were made using thread plates and although I have some they don’t cover all manufacturers, it would be nice to also be able to work out a way to find the pitch and form of them as well , I know I can use a pitch gauge to find something near but is there a formula for doing it, for example did they all use tpi per inch or something else.
thanks Dell

Offline Dell

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2023, 03:34:46 AM »
Sorry not the best of videos but shows it’s working

Offline philf

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2023, 07:14:00 AM »
Hi Dell,

You're walking into a minefield!

Here's a link to a table for radial infeed:

https://data.mmc-carbide.com/7416/5908/8328/tec_threading_depth_external_en-gl.pdf

However it only works for radial infeed (i.e. x-axis only feed and not feeding in at 1/2 the thread angle) and it only works when the thread cutting tool has the correct radius for the pitch and type of thread.

Radial infeed is OK for fine threads.

CNCCOOKBOOK have a thread calculator but you need to have bought a copy of their Gwizard feeds and speeds calculator to be able to download and use it. I've not yet looked at it to see if it will do what you want. I perhaps will later.

Cheers.

Phil.

Phil Fern

Offline jebewick

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2023, 12:24:49 PM »
Hello Dell. Not visited MM for quite a while, but today came across your post here about the Rocketronics ELS. I notice you have not posted since your question about threading.
I have a Rocketronics ELS fitted to a 13'' Taiwanese lathe, fitted it about three years ago. Have found it very good when just hogging material down to near size. Saves a lot of repetitive work. Threading is one of its most useful features, although it does take some initial trial threads to be cut to establish the parameters that need to be entered. I mainly use full form carbide inserts, which makes things a little easier. If using general purpose threading inserts, then you do need to establish the nose radius for each make of insert used, as they all seem to vary.
Be interested to know how you are getting on with it.

Offline Dell

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2023, 12:46:34 PM »
A quick update on my Rocketronics on the Myford I am slowly getting to grips with it , had a couple of crashes due to not zeroing axis and still having trouble with depth of cut when single point thread even with insert tooling, I needed a tool rest for my Pultra so made the post on the Myford I must say I don’t regret installing it.
Dell

« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 02:06:34 PM by Dell »