Author Topic: Gas welding torch threads  (Read 3256 times)

Offline pycoed

Gas welding torch threads
« on: December 28, 2022, 11:50:15 AM »
I got an oxy-propane cutting set for Christmas & the torch has Male connectors .650” Dia & 25TPI (LH & RH) as far as my eyes can make out without going into a freezing garage to dig out the thread guage. I have an old oxy-acetylene welding torch (no name) that came in a box of goodies years ago & never used by me (haven't had more than propane before). Measuring the male threads on that they seem to be .50”X25TPI.
What are these threads normally – I’ve never used anything other than plain propane before? Might they be GAS which AFAIK is 26 TPI for all normal diameters? Can I readily buy adapters to use the torch on my new hoses for brazing, or is it a make-it-yourself job?
P.S.
I know that you can’t weld with oxy-propane, but working on my tractor steering knuckles recently prompted the need for better than plain propane heat.

Offline pycoed

Re: Gas welding torch threads
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 09:10:36 AM »
The dangers of drink: went to the garage today & measured threads with guage & decent calipers. 1/4BSP & 3/8BSP!

Moral:
Don't attempt measurements after Old Speckled Hen, white wine & Damson vodka :bang:

Offline Sea.dog

• Up Spirits!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 09:46:17 AM »
That sounds more like it. I was wondering which medication you were on  :D

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 10:21:38 AM »
Stick to the Old Speckled Hen - I find it a miracle cure up there with WD40  :clap:

(WD40 of course being developed originally to keep moisture off Titan 1 misiles in their silos 165 foot below Denver !)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline pycoed

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 04:33:02 AM »
Whilst I agree with the Old Speckled Hen recommendation, I couldn't manage a pint of WD40 - too aromatic for my tastes, but each to his own...