Author Topic: homemade nickel plating with coins  (Read 2896 times)

Offline celsoari

homemade nickel plating with coins
« on: May 11, 2023, 03:16:57 PM »
In this video I used pure nickel coins to finish some mechanical parts.

Greetings from Brazil

Celso Ari
Greetings from Brazil

Offline Pete.

Re: homemade nickel plating with coins
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 01:21:57 AM »
Nice work Celso. I bet those coins cost a lot less than the nickel that they are made from.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 05:40:05 PM »
 :beer:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 02:43:28 AM »
I’m gnashing my teeth having just narrowly missed out winning a Cannings nickel plating tank (about 12x12x10 inches) that came with 6.5 kilograms of nickel..my bid snipper bid was slightly too low :(

It was a steel tank lined with fiberglass insulation.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2023, 02:17:52 PM »
Very cool. I want to try plating!

I’m gnashing my teeth having just narrowly missed out winning a Cannings nickel plating tank (about 12x12x10 inches) that came with 6.5 kilograms of nickel..my bid snipper bid was slightly too low :(

It was a steel tank lined with fiberglass insulation.

:doh:
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2023, 03:10:46 PM »
I do have a Nickle plating set up using a 2 gallon bucket Eric. I've even made up some long troughs for doing shafts. Works quite well but a bit of a faff setting it all up. Had I won the Cannings tank I would have made up a dedicated trolley with all that was needed. I think it went for £110 or there abouts - my Auction Sniper max was set to £105.54  :bang:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline philf

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2023, 05:06:17 PM »
I do have a Nickle plating set up using a 2 gallon bucket Eric. I've even made up some long troughs for doing shafts. Works quite well but a bit of a faff setting it all up. Had I won the Cannings tank I would have made up a dedicated trolley with all that was needed. I think it went for £110 or there abouts - my Auction Sniper max was set to £105.54  :bang:

Andrew,

The winning bidder might have put a £200 bid in! I've won auctions by 7p before now but the underbidder will never know that! I've put bids in at the last moment and won the items for a fraction of what I bid. The important thing is to bid only what you're prepared to pay.

A good friend of mine (RIP) was always complaining that he'd lost items on eBay and that he would have paid more. He used to treat it like a live auction instead of sniping or leaving placing his bid to the last few seconds. If someone put a bid on he'd outbid them, they'd outbid him etc etc.

Sniping is less stressful than bidding live!

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023, 02:01:20 AM »
Sniping has many advantages, not the least being that you don’t get carried away and bid with your heart not your head. Also useful as you don’t have to remember when the auction ends.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2023, 04:28:45 AM »
I only ever used a sniper once (I was in Spain, my internet was flakey at the best of times & a storm was coming in which guaranteed to knock it out... and I really wanted a Lister 6/1 engine!) - about a week later my account was hacked & a bunch of DVD box sets I didn't own was allegedly being sold....

I've never used one since; I now rely on manual sniping - putting my max bid in with between 3-5 seconds to go. This has the advantage that I don't have time to panic & up my bid if I underbid... so I do have to go for my max price the first time.  I rarely lose though! And those I do lose, were too rich for my tastes anyway :med:

I've won auctions by 7p before now but the underbidder will never know that!

Actually Phil - you CAN tell if you've lost by less than the bid increment... because the final price is less than the bid increment! e.g. if I bid £50.25 and the item finished for £50.30; then I know the high bidder bid just 5p more than I did (and also bid before I did; eBay wouldn't let them bid that small an amount if my bid was already in)...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline philf

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 04:29:00 PM »
Hi Ade,

I've only been let down once by a bid sniper but my problem is remembering when the finish time of the auction is (I usually remember a minute or so after the finish time or I remember and then get distracted and miss it) or it's due to finish when I'm out.

I agree that setting your max bid and leaving until the last few seconds is the best way to bid manually. Do you find your heart starts racing as the time to press the bid now button approaches? I know mine does.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2023, 06:14:40 PM »
Do you find your heart starts racing as the time to press the bid now button approaches? I know mine does.

I certainly used to, and yes if it's something I really really want - but mostly these days, I'm either bidding on stuff I don't really need - or I look for one that's got a reasonable buy-it-now price.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...