Author Topic: Converted surface grinder queries.  (Read 3431 times)

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Converted surface grinder queries.
« on: March 07, 2023, 03:41:46 PM »
So after much time I have got the surface grinderish back together, I am calling it a surface grinderish because its very well worn and could do with scraping flat again before it will do anything like accurate work over the length its capable of but it will do fine for things like tool grinding once I have made some jigs.

Anyway on to the queries:
First off I have very little experience with surface grinding but most of the ones I have used/seen spin the wheel in a clockwise direction but this is spinning anti-clockwise. Not sure if this makes any difference but should I bother attempting to reverse the motor? I am now trying to recall the thread direction for mounting the wheel I guess that would give me my answer will have to note that tomorrow.

Next query is more a request to see any wheel dressing jigs to get some ideas on what to make, it needs to be able to do the flat and face of the wheel. Searching has shown me plenty of options possibly my favourite being a radius dressing one which I think could do all I want with the bonus of dressing a radius should I ever need to. My main limitation is lack of movement second picture shows the bed as far forward as it will go I am seriously considering shortening the shaft which I think will give me better use of the bed. I'm sure that whoever coverted it made it to do what was needed at the time May have been my uncle but as he sadly passed recently I can not now discuss it with him.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Converted surface grinder queries.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 04:13:19 PM »
Wheel rotation direction needs to tend to push the work towards the work stop.

Is that just a random bit of steel on the table or a work stop - if the later the wheel should spin clockwise I would have thought

My simple wheel dresser is just a block of steel with an 'almost vertical' hole, the departure from vertical giving a trailing angle to the diamond dresser that is mounted in a 3/8" stub of bar held by a grub screw, the block being held by the magnetic table.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 04:38:49 PM »
Wheel rotation direction needs to tend to push the work towards the work stop.

Is that just a random bit of steel on the table or a work stop - if the later the wheel should spin clockwise I would have thought

My simple wheel dresser is just a block of steel with an 'almost vertical' hole, the departure from vertical giving a trailing angle to the diamond dresser that is mounted in a 3/8" stub of bar held by a grub screw, the block being held by the magnetic table.
Thats just a random bit of steel which I was looking at as the base for the wheel dresser. The main reason I was concerned it may be spinning the wrong way is that theres nothing to stop the bed coming right out of the ways in one direction and the current direction would send it the right way if I where to try and take too big a cut, I have a pic of the bed taken off the machine.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2023, 01:43:49 AM »
If the machine is 3 phase reverse two of the phases !
I have never come across a anti clockwise surface grinder ! the sparks should go to the left when standing in front.
Check the nut holding the grind wheel for rotation it should tighten when the shaft is turned the  direction it turns if it do not it is incorrect and can cause a accident with grind wheel coming loose!
Hope this may help.
Trev

Offline AlanSmith

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 02:04:22 PM »
Capco surface grinders turned anticlockwise, the spark catcher is on the right hand end of the table.