Author Topic: First time boring a hole  (Read 3036 times)

Offline Dell

• anniversary-clocks.co.uk
First time boring a hole
« on: March 03, 2023, 10:15:42 AM »
Finally fitted the Multifix to my Myford 10  and got tools on centre after having 2mm milled off the top of the compound,  but as I hadn’t bored a hole before I thought got to do it one day so yes Okay so I changed my mind yet again, ( wife said it’s her place to change her mind not mine ) anyway I decided to use the original tool post stud and bore out a bush and the sleeve on top of Multifix, although I hadn’t done any boring before I found it was just as easy to bore as it is to turn down the OD apart from not being able to see what’s happening, I decided to make the bush first just in case I cocked the boring part up as I didn’t want to cock up the sleeve on the Multifix, I knew I had to shorten the stud but didn’t count on having to alter the nut as well because the adjuster on the tool holder fouled on it , I ended up cutting it in half and milling a couple of flats on it , ( it only needed one but looked odd ), I have about 1.5mm of adjustment so am happy with the outcome.
Dell

Old man but still learning

Offline pycoed

Re: First time boring a hole
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 04:20:12 AM »
That's a really nice toolholder :thumbup: -  I didn't know they made Multifix's that small. If the lever is near the stud, your knuckles will thank you to dome the stud end & chamfer the edges of the nut too!

Offline Dell

• anniversary-clocks.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 12:19:38 PM »
Yes I know I need to alter the retainer nut but I need the correct thread tap , and I know I can thread using the lathe but not something I have done externally yet let alone internally.
Dell
Old man but still learning

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 09:13:44 PM »
Good work, Dell. :clap:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg