The Shop > Our Shop

Fire In The Foundry

<< < (2/3) > >>

tom osselton:
That looks much better!

Muzzerboy:
I have several Aico smoke / heat detectors in my home, including heat detector in the workshop. These are interconnected wirelessly, so if one goes off, they all do. There's also a simple wireless terminal for silencing, testing and identifying them. Not at all expensive and didn't require hard wiring. Most are mains backed but with batteries so they work during loss of power. Unless you are a long way away from your workshop, this would work for you. Beyond that, two or more of them can be wired together to make the last leg to the house.

vtsteam:

--- Quote from: awemawson on July 09, 2013, 03:58:03 AM ---I have visions of you stopping the blower, the tuyers heating up and the plastic fittings dribbling down  :lol:

--- End quote ---

This because I used plastic air hose leading to steel pipe tuyeres on an outdoor furnace which was set on a sand base.

I would have never placed a furnace indoors adjacent to a covered plastic drain.

I'm sorry this happened to you Andrew, glad no more damage ensued. I don't think it's funny.

Perhaps you might also rethink  the occasional bemused criticisms of others practices here, in light of present experience.

awemawson:
Kiln got re-mounted on new castors so at least it's now movable again without the pallet truck.

The fire door got a bit of a clean up and splash of paint to keep the rust at bay, and the new cement infill got a rough going over with some ancient floor paint to keep the dust at bay - all a bit rough and ready but that's all it needs in this application.

Not decided what to do about the small area of original wall cladding - I'll almost certainly replace it with something non-combustible, but I'm looking into fire proof squirty foams to seal whatever edges remain.

awemawson:
This afternoon I started removing the small area of timber cladding that originates from when this wall was the external wall of a barn.

I attacked the easy (right hand) side first - this is backed by a 'new' 100 mm cement block wall so once stripped the wall itself is sufficiently fireproof. Where it joins the roof, and where pierced for services will need quite a bit of detailing but at least it's a start.

Surprisingly it produced a generous wheelbarrow of timber which is burning in a (hopefully) controlled manner in my incinerator. Better there than up the side of my workshop !

The left hand side will be a bit more complicated, as the shiplap continues through from the outer rear wall of the workshop and each plank is going to have to be sawn to length in a bit of a cramped corner. But that's for another day . .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version