The Shop > Tools

Picked this up today

<< < (2/5) > >>

Dell:
Lathe levelled and bolted down today made an aluminium rear chip guard, don’t want to use it until I have some grease to grease headstock.
Purchased this collet chuck made by Myford but to take ER 25 collets, just need to get a semi decent set of collets, I know there are literally 100’s out there but for what I do ( clocks ) I can’t justify spending 100’s£ but I don’t want Chinese ones so if anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated, I know it’s possible to get Myford collets but they are one size collets whereas ER will hold in between size stock albeit not quite so accurately.
Dell

Muzzerboy:
Most of them are probably made in China anyway but at least if you from a reputable supplier you won't end up with junk. Standard precision is generally around 10um runout and high precision is 5um or so. On Aliexpress you are talking pot luck.

Cutwel is a reputable supplier. If you aren't in a rush, you may find the collet sets on offer from time to time. Otherwise their prices don't seem bad.
https://www.cutwel.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=er25+collet+set

APT in Glasgow are also reasonable for quality and price.
https://www.shop-apt.co.uk/collet-sets.html

philf:

--- Quote from: Dell on February 12, 2023, 09:42:48 AM ---Lathe levelled and bolted down today made an aluminium rear chip guard, don’t want to use it until I have some grease to grease headstock.
Purchased this collet chuck made by Myford but to take ER 25 collets, just need to get a semi decent set of collets, I know there are literally 100’s out there but for what I do ( clocks ) I can’t justify spending 100’s£ but I don’t want Chinese ones so if anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated, I know it’s possible to get Myford collets but they are one size collets whereas ER will hold in between size stock albeit not quite so accurately.
Dell

--- End quote ---

One Myford collet can cost you the same as a set of ER25. I'm lucky to have most of the imperial and metric sizes of Myford collet from when they were a reasonable price. I wish they'd get some made (to a reasonable standard) in India or China.

I just sent back a set of ER20 collets which were supposed to be max 0.008mm runout. Out of the set of 13 only one met the spec with the worst having a runout of 0.14mm. Three of the collets wouldn't take an item of the nominal size and one wouldn't enter the collet nut! I'd steer clear of any supplied in individual yellow containers - I suspect they all come from the same factory who don't give a monkey's about quality.

I'm tempted by a set from APT. Some suppliers don't even bother quoting a runout.

Phil.

Dell:
Thanks for replies
The set from apt quoting 0.005mm run out are half the price of cutwell quoting the same  maximum runout if they are the same quality then there is question where to get them from.
Dell
Have ordered from apt.

philf:
Dell,

Have you measured the runout of your collet chuck? It may have a lot more runout than the collets? (But hopefully not!)

It couldn't be made without re-chucking. Ideally it would have had the Myford register and thread machined and then fitted to a master Myford nosed machine to machine the taper and ER nut thread.

Phil.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version