Author Topic: Running Puppy Linux on a Windows machine  (Read 3449 times)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Running Puppy Linux on a Windows machine
« on: February 03, 2023, 04:20:06 PM »
Just a suggestion, not meant to start any kind of "My OS is better than your OS" discussions. Just only, only, only a suggestion since I'm reading in other threads here about Windows problems.

You can run Puppy Linux on a dedicated Windows machine without installing it. I and my family use it daily and have for over a decade for all of the same kinds of tasks that you might reasonably need.

Puppy Linux's entire operating system will fit on a modest size thumb drive comfortably, along with a big bunch of applications that ship with it -- word processing, spreadsheet, browser, email, plus MANY more. And even on a 16 Gig drive, there's plenty of additional room for data. if you want to keep it there. Or, you can save data to the Windows drive, if you prefer.

Puppy Linux is tiny compared to typical operating systems. Because bloat has been eliminated from it, when Puppy Linux runs, it can load itself and its applications completely into memory. Since thereafter, it does not have to access the hard drive (or its thumb drive) to run programs, it is very fast and efficient.

You can also run it from a CD or DVD (though drives for those are becoming rarer these days). Again, it will load itself into memory, so the CD does not slow down access after the OS is running. In fact you can remove the CD from the drive without bothering it. Another advantage for a removable disk based system, because a CD is a read-only filesystem, it cannot be corrupted by viruses. Every time you boot, the operating system is a fresh copy of the original.

It is possible to run Puppy Linux with a defective or missing hard drive in an old computer by just running it off of a thumb drive or CD.  It s possible to fix a corrupted or broken Windows system, by running puppy linux off of a thumb drive, etc. It is possible to copy data off of a broken windows system.

I'm merely scratching the surface of what is possible. Under puppy Linux, if you ever decide to adopt it as a main system, you can run many Windows programs under another program called WINE. I run Google Sketchup 3D CAD under WINE.

If you do decide to adopt it as a main OS, you can also put the Puppy Linux main OS on your hard drive as just a folder and contents WITHIN the Windows system. This is called a "Frugal Install" It is in fact a preferred installation method, as opposed to most flagship Linuxs full installation processes which wipe out Windows, or other operating systems. A puppy linux frugal install coexists with other operating systems. If you set up a boot manager, you can choose it, or Windows or any other operating system at boot time. I dual boot Puppy Linux with Windows 7, which I keep for the very rare times that I need it to run an occasional oddball Windows program -- like a CNC driver for an obscure laser cutter.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to switch out of Windows. I'm just suggesting that you might want to try a noninvasive alternative Linux OS which fits on, and can operate from a thumb drive and see how it feels. It will seem a little retro, since it's still styled a little like Win98, with a lower left Menu button. But you can change appearance, easily if you don't like with a myriad of available desktop settings and even different window managers. One obvious difference will be that a single click starts a program (also can be altered).

Another characteristic of Puppy Linux is that you are the administrator. That's because it is not a multi-user system. There is no need seen to protect you from yourself as a security measure. This is unlike most other Linux systems which are multi-user, with a super-user/administrator called "root". In puppy linux, you are root. This also is like Windows98, which was a single user system.

Well I guess that's enough on the subject. Try it if you're curious. It might be a means out of the Windows cycle of constant upgrades for computer and OS. In fact, try it on an older computer if you want, and watch the speed improvement.

There are many versions of Puppy linux. I suggest the following mainstream version for 64 bit machines. It uses the Ubuntu program repositories for downloading new programs (though there are also even better alternatives you can use with it, like appimages, sfs files etc. none of which will make sense here, but will if you start usin Puppy Linux.

Current recommended version:

BionicPup 64

I generally download from ibiblio.com

The Puppy linux forum is a major resource for current information and assistance:

https://www.forum.puppylinux.com
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Re: Running Puppy Linux on a Windows machine
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 04:40:01 PM »
Interesting . I'm been running kubuntu for a few years now
Bill

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 05:41:45 PM »
Interesting. I must admit that a while back I loaded up a system with Linux Mint and was really impressed how easy it was to get my rather ancient scanners and printers accepted.

I may try again and see if some of my older software will run in a Mint Windows emulator - Lord give me time - I need more hours in my day !

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline pycoed

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 04:04:13 AM »
I use Ubuntu as my main OS & run Windows in a Virtualbox drive "inside" Ubuntu. I have an old Bird Guides CD that will run only on XP & they wanted an extortionate amount to upgrade the CD, so I dug out some install discs from my daughter's laptop  & set up XP in a virtual drive on Ubuntu. Works fine - video, sound & internet all on XP within Ubuntu.
I must admit I didn't like Puppy when I tried it on my old EeePC, which I have now updated from Mint with Ubuntu Mate as a sort of workshop reference book - it gets used occasionally & for the odd photo while dismantling something my old brain wouldn't remember how to reconstruct.

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 09:42:23 PM »
There is also another option, if one would like to test Puppy with Windows - Lick loader : https://github.com/noryb009/lick

It's pretty straightforward way to (kind of I guess) install Puppy. It's not the usual way, that one might expect, like on the other Linux distros, though.

But anyway, Lick is a Windows program, so the installation is done using it. In the Lick folder is two exe files, lick-cli.exe and lick-fltk.exe.

First opens in command window, and other has gui. Using the gui version allows one to drag Puppy iso image to it, and choose what drive to install to.

It makes a boot menu, where both Windows and Puppy are listed. Even if Puppy is installed to drive C where Windows is, it makes its own partition inside it.
I have no clue how it does it, but so far I haven't had any problems with it.

If there is need to uninstall Puppy, it also is done in Windows using Lick, by selecting "Uninstall ISO" -option. It leaves Puppy related files to that drive, but they can simply be deleted.

After all, I have tried to install Puppy using its own installer, but never figured out, how it actually works. It's just so different than in other distros.

I wonder what the possible differences between 'real' installation and Lick might be.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 12:35:24 PM »
I haven't tried Lick, but I strongly doubt it makes any physical change to the Windows partition. Puppy Linux(s) don't need their own partition, just a folder or even a large file (called a "savefile" within a Windows partition). So the parent partition isn't affected.  I mean other than having a folder or a file added to it.

At boot time, if the Puppy linux OS is selected, the boot manager (in this case Lick) jumps to the puppy folder or file in the Windows partition, rather then to the Windows system files.

You CAN give a Puppy Linux its own partition, if you want. That can be located outside, and after, the Windows partition, if you have room for that on your hard drive. You'd have to create that new partition manually, and then install Puppy on it.

I do that. I have Windows 7 system partitions on my laptop, and located after those, I have a couple of Linux partitions. The linux partition can be formatted in a Linux friendly format (some of them are journaling formats for easy recovery if corrupted) such as ext2, ext3, or ext4. Also the Windows OS cannot read those partitions, so it cannot corrupt them, nor are Windows viruses likely to read them.

Even if it has a dedicated Linux formatted partition, a Puppy linux OS still only needs one folder/directory in that partition. It does not need to dominate  the whole partition with dedicated system folders as most standard Linux types do.

In fact I have several different versions of Puppy Linux in several different folders in one Linux partition. I can choose to boot any one of them, or the Windows 7 OS at boot time. I'm given a menu of boot choices. It's great for trying out new flavors or versions of Puppy Linux. In fact I keep many older versions. You don't have to wipe out an older version to install a new one -- also different from Windows or standard "big" linuxes.

Most older Puppy linuxes I have used over the past decade were about 100 megabytes in size INCLUDING applications. You could fit ten of them in 1 Gig of storage. Lately Puppy linuxes  have  become larger, but are still tiny compared to the usual OS types, Windows or linux.

Thus keeping older versions intact is perfectly reasonable, and not wasteful of storage.

Also, possible because you can run multiple versions:

I have one instance  of Puppy Linux that I use ONLY for doing taxes at the end of the year. It never gets booted for anything else. It is always a clean copy of the OS. And data stays safe in that one version's savefile.

Another thing Puppy Linux can use is a Linux Swap partition. This is a partition that is used by Linux OS's as a spare memory area, in case a program uses more RAM than is available on your computer. It's not as fast as RAM but it allows use of memory unlimited by the computer's RAM bank.

Okay, enough, again. As I said I can only scratch the surface of all that is possible with this particular operating system. It does require some learning and getting used to the differences, but I've found it very worthwhile.
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 01:08:37 PM »
"I wonder what the possible differences between 'real' installation and Lick might be."

I don't believe there is one. All good installations of Puppy Linux are "frugal installs". Meaning everything needed is located in one folder. And then that version is initiated by a boot loader like Lick or Grub.

Installers and boot loaders are not actually part of Puppy linux. They preceed it during the boot process. They merely initiate operating systems, and switch control to the selected OS (including Windows, if selected).

It IS possible to create a puppy linux installation that is NOT a frugal install, but no one who uses Puppy Linux recommends this. That is the poorly named 'full install", and is the equivalent of a big name linux, like Ubuntu, or Mint, etc. where a large number of folders are needed and the installation dominates a whole partition, with no ability to multi-boot other OS'es.

Don't use a full install, use a frugal install. There is nothing "partial" about a frugal install compared to a "full install". It's a bad name. Frugal installs have all features, and many more advantages.

Anyway, I'm sure Lick just makes a frugal install in a Windows partition, and then sets up a boot manager so you can pick what you want at boot time.

If you are using Lick, just look on your windows drive C in Windows, and I bet you'll find the Puppy directory somewhere, probably named BionicPup64 -- if that's your Puppy flavor, or something similar. You can look inside of it and see the Puppy files needed for the Puppy operating system.
Steve