Author Topic: Decorative & Sculptural Ironwork  (Read 3160 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Decorative & Sculptural Ironwork
« on: June 25, 2009, 11:49:46 AM »

Decorative & Sculptural Ironwork
Tools, Techniques & Inspiration
2nd edition
By Dona Z Meilach
Schiffer Publishing Ltd.
http://www.schifferbooks.com
ISBN 0-7643-0790-8
paperback
copyright©1999
In the EU and England they are distributed by
Bushwood Books
Kew Gardens
http://www.bushwoodbooks.co.uk

What can one really say about a Dona Z Meilach, book on ironwork and smithing in all forms and styles and subjects. And since this is the recent 2nd edition. with update information on equipment and trends and techniques. It is one of the must haves for every metal head. Here is her direct metal sculpture review

The easiest way to do this is with the contents listed after a few words. It is well done, with lots and lots of photo's both B&W along with the color sections/albums. She covers old museum stuff to the current crop(1999) of smiths, blade workers, sculptors and even a detailed chapter devoted to a Damascus steel research project at Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
From the Yellin museum in Philly pa to outstanding work of some the finest studios turning out railing. So here it is.

New creativity with metal forging
The shop,the forge, and the tools
The fire, the fuel, and the heat
The smith's materials: iron,steel and alloys
Basic forging procedures
The object-from simple to Challenging
Color plates
Architecture
Large sculpture
Small Sculpture
Furnishings
Carving animals and other fantastic forms
Gates,grilles,and railings
Locks,knockers, and other hardware
Bladesmithing for knives,choppers,and scissors
Damascus Steel
Mixed metals--More techniques
Sculpture
A gallery of details

Appendix-weight charts
Bibliography
Suppliers
Resources
Index

As she starts with a short history of iron work, then moves right into the heart and heat of the subject. As this isn't sold as a how to book. I will say that it is probably one of the few books that with little or no previous knowledge. One could follow her step by steps with the photo's and turn out some very passable items.

I am not saying that the person will be a world class iron worker or even close to it. Just that she is and always complete in her descriptions, procedures etc.

I will go as far as to say that more people learned the basics and some all they know about smithing from Dona's books (she has written over 36).
When she was taken recently from us. She was moving into the field of computers as it could be applied to ironwork.

It might be a bit pricey for some but as with good tools it is a investment that you will use over and over. And one that will bring enjoyment when you can't be swinging a hammer or tong!

If you do get a used one that is the original edition, you will be buying the 2nd edition shortly after.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen