Author Topic: Foretelling the future.  (Read 2066 times)

Offline philf

Foretelling the future.
« on: June 15, 2023, 12:23:24 PM »
"Lovers will be able to see each other, whilst conversing at a distance. Doctors will examine their patient's tongues in another town. The drama will be switched on to private houses, and on Sundays and holidays even the poor will be able to enjoy a visual trip to wherever their fancy may incline. In hot weather a man will be able to refresh himself with a glimpse of the Alpine glaciers, or the icebergs of the Arctic Circle; and in the rigours of a north-east wind he may taste the pleasures of imagination, by gloating over the palms and orchids of the tropics. Think of paying your shilling for a view of the geysers of the Yellowstone, or an eruption of Vesuvius, or a peep at the Yosemite Falls."

Nothing remarkable about any of that - except that the words are from 'The Romance of Electricity' written by J Munro in 1893 - 130 years ago!

Phil Fern

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Foretelling the future.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 12:59:36 PM »
And it's all true - you can !

But I often wonder why fortune tellers ask what you'd like them to foretell - surely they must already know  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 01:08:59 PM »
But I often wonder why fortune tellers ask what you'd like them to foretell - surely they must already know  :clap:

In a similar vein - I always think, when I see a poster advertising a psychics convention - why do they need the posters? Don't they just, you know, know?
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline philf

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 01:13:36 PM »

In a similar vein - I always think, when I see a poster advertising a psychics convention - why do they need the posters? Don't they just, you know, know?

Or when there's a piece of paper stuck on the poster saying "Cancelled Due To Unforeseen Circumstances!"
Phil Fern