The Shop > Tools

Help please

<< < (3/4) > >>

Joules:
Well there you go I learned something, didn't know you could get HSS inserts, dreamed of having or making them myself.   Saying that I haven't looked at tooling inserts in ages as I built a stash over the years.   The nearest size lathe I use to yours would be a Taig.  I use their tool posts as quick change and it keeps the tool close to the carriage centre.    Not much more I could add that others haven't said except.   Would you be prepared to set up a grinding spindle to get a quality finish.   My Taig gets used for that a lot as I can set it up outside or under the carport to keep grinding dust away from other equipment.  Wrap the lathe in polythene or newspaper to catch the dust.  I use a Proxxon spindle with little grinding stones, very light loading so even a not so rigid setup can produce good results.   Easy to then polish if that's a finish you are looking for.

LOL sorry if that's telling you how to suck eggs, by the sound of it you have good graver skills and a very clean looking lathe.

I just saw your tiny top slide, that also won't add to rigidity, could your lathe be fitted with a miniature Gibraltar style tool post directly on the cross slide, looking at the casting in your picture ?  In fact a rear toolpost might be a better option as you already have the mountings for one and can keep the tool post you have, as is.

Joules:
Just watched Stefan Gotteswinter's latest video, BNC style connector.    Quite applicable to what you are trying to achieve or anyone else that's looking for a good finish on small parts, and his method keeps grinding dust away from your machines.

Dell:
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice, as I said earlier it’s not something I need to do very often as most of what I do is with a graver, IE make and blue screws out of blue steel, arbors with silver steel, other parts with brass, next time I need to do something similar I will try the advice above .
Many thanks Dell

Joules:
You're welcome Dell, the questions you asked are applicable to lots who start out or come on the site looking for help and advice, so we tend to answer in a more general fashion.

Be good to see some of the work you do, and details on your graving activities, not something we see as much these days.

Dell:
Some work I have done using a graver
Making a screw
Making a replacement pendulum adjuster 
Making a new hand washer

Dell

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version