Author Topic: cost of living  (Read 2031 times)

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
cost of living
« on: December 08, 2022, 11:47:20 AM »
This has been bugging me for quite some time. I am bothered by the claims that the rising cost of living is causing people to go into poverty. I live on my own, my only income is the state pension, I do live in public housing. or what we used to call council housing. Why are people complaining about the increasing costs? Am I missing something? I receive enough to live very comfortably and save money, not a lot but I have always have some in reserve. Could someone explain the problem to me because I don't feel it.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Re: cost of living
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 11:59:22 AM »
At a guess, any combination of:
Mortgage, and or rent
Children, and or other dependants
bbc license tax, 
netflix (and or any other streaming media,
iphone ( and or other phone rental), 
Internet,
Car,
Etc.etc.etc.
Bill

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 12:22:12 PM »
OK Bill here we go. No I don't have a mortgage, probably like many people, I live in social housing . maybe that is why I am protected. . I am 75 so children are out of the way I don't have netflix or any other internet stuff.  I have BT . Internet , my iphone costs me £5 per month. I have a car. All in all I am comfortable. Maybe people expect too much out of life, I don;t know but I am happy.

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 12:27:12 PM »
Can I add, I did not want to be contentious. I really don't understand why it seems that the media tell us that everybody is suffering. I am sure that I am not unique.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 12:35:11 PM »
I do think people have far higher expectatons of life style than - say - 50 years ago when we got married.

Back then foreign holidays were unheard of and there was a culture of make do and mend still from the war, memories of which were still very raw.

The first house we bought was condemmed as 'unfit for human habitation' but it was all we could afford. No ground floor windows or floor boards. Down stairs chimney breasts removed without supporting upstairs etc etc.

But I quickly learnt building skills that I certainly didn't have before (couldn't pay anyone to do the work!) - and scrounging used materials knocked it into some semblence of civilisation.

Selling up and buying the next house slowly saw us climb the ladder but it was gruelling hard work - five houses later I now have the farm and 12 acres !

No credit back then - nowadays it's a want it now culture and it goes on a credit card which is where people go wrong.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 12:44:56 PM »
I’m 64, retired living off a pension too….( supplemented by ‘Er-indoors’)….
No mortgage, ( I worked my ass off to get it paid….)
No Netflix or other subscription service other than internet….

I have a comfortable existence, which is probably less than the folk 3 doors down, the last 2 houses in our row have bough new cars in the last 3 months…but I guess it comes down to needs and wants…

I’m more in the camp of ‘if I don’t need it, I don’t buy it’….
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Joules

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 04:57:13 PM »
It amazing what you can do if you live a boring (in the eyes of many others) life.  We paid off the mortgage many years back, don't have holidays abroad, or holidays at all for the last 3yrs.  Eat fresh food, some of which we grow here as wife has food allergies, heat with coal over the last 20yrs, so not push button heating and requires work to maintain.   No TV, used money and time to pursue interests and hobbies gaining lots of practical skills.  As I work from home minimum overheads on commuting to work and back.  Workshop and electronics lab are my life, most interests and hobbies revolve around that.  Fast approaching retirement, and private pension will pay more than I have earned in the last few years.  My wife has supported me on and off over the last 20yrs as she was always the major bread winner.   Never felt entitled to anything and only bought with cash I had to hand.  No credit card or loans as my monthly income could vary wildly (hence no covid support, as no credit rating) very much living within my means.   That seems to be completely lost on so many these days.

I have some generous friends who think of me before disposing of equipment and tools.  I repair and refurbish for them and myself where I can.

Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2022, 05:39:11 PM »
As all the above, i think we are of a certain age:: i have never bought any thing i could not pay for in advance..just the way i was brought up.
Mum and dad always said, if you can not pay for it then you can not afford it.
Lyn.