<< < (2/9) > >>

philf:
Hi Bill,

1:3 to 3:1

Phil.

BillTodd:
PM sent

Muzzerboy:
It's hard to tell from the CAD views but I can't see how the pressure is applied between the 2 large disks in this concept. On a Kopp variator, a higher input torque results in a greater compression of the input / output cones, drive balls and containment ring. Equally, I'm not sure how well a rubber face would survive. Kopps use plain (hardened and ground) steel surfaces. Hopefully Phil has the answer for you!

BillTodd:
Pressure is set by adjusting the depth of the two side bearing blocks (by either shims or a set of screws pushing the bearings inwards - design is still in flux) . I did consider other designs that would regulate tractor force, notably a cone/ring design , but it wasn't particularly compact.

I'm aware that all commercial variators tend to use hardened surfaces , but that is not really doable in the home shop hence using rubber facing .

I'm calculating /hoping that the traction beats torque, for most operations of a small lathe  at high speeds.

I may well end up with something from Phil :⁠-⁠)  but I have an attraction for making this thing anyway

kayzed1:
Have you checked on how a variator works on Google, as small scooters have compact units and are available cheaply from places online.
May well be the start of a solution ...lyn.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version