Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Variator for small lathe

<< < (5/9) > >>

vtsteam:
Hmmm, no gib adjustment screws either? Tailstock gibs? Maybe none..

I guess this lathe will need the headstock to be adjusted in position with scraping and/or shims to match the tailstock center location. The reverse of the normal method.

BillTodd:

--- Quote from: vtsteam on October 29, 2022, 03:18:28 PM ---Hmmm, no gib adjustment screws either? Tailstock gibs? Maybe none..

I guess this lathe will need the headstock to be adjusted in position with scraping and/or shims to match the tailstock center location. The reverse of the normal method.

--- End quote ---

This does seem to have taken its design cues from Hardinge, my HLV-H also has no real adjustment for the tail stock.

The headstock has a small amount of lateral adjust , so I'll have to square up the headstock to the tail stock .

As for taper cutting, I have plans/dreams for a taper attachment. The cross slide nut has a lot of backlash and one option is to replace it with a tubular design that will slide in the existing hole. That will allow it to be controlled by a taper slide on the back of the lathe.

vtsteam:
I've always wanted to do a taper attachment. Never did. That's a lot more fun than setting the tailstock over!

BillTodd:
I have a taper attachment on the HLVH,  you just set it up using the DRO (like a sine bar) abd it's bang on every time.

I cut a Jacob taper for a chuck the other day, when I slapped the chuck on to test it , I couldn't get it off!  So thought that's probably good enough.

awemawson:
If you fit a boring head in your tail stock and a centre where the boring bit goes you can avoid mucking up the setting of your tail stock and cut accurate tapers.

There is a commercial version available. Obviously the tail stock taper has to be rigidly fitted as if it slips you are in trouble.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version