Author Topic: Microscope/ Nanomill  (Read 1342 times)

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Microscope/ Nanomill
« on: November 04, 2023, 05:13:05 AM »
The idea here is to combine a few bits of useful scrap into something more useful.

I have

a Baty measuring DRO from a shadow graph , 2um scales resolving to sub micron
a two axis slide from a wire eroder ,  85 x 85mm travel, 1mm pitch ball screw , thk cross-roller slides
A short slide axis from a laser welder , IKO ball slides, 1mm pitch precision lead screw 150mm travel
A Russian LOMO microscope with cross-hair eye piece and various objects

My first thoughts were to use the two axis slide for  XY table and the short slide for vertical zoom/focus for the microscope. However, the axes are all ball/roller guides with zero backlash screws that are ready to accept motors so , would this make a solid , if small, mill?

ATM I have only pencil sketches and ideas, so for the moment here are pictures of the bits

Bill

Offline hanermo

Re: Microscope/ Nanomill
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 12:26:44 PM »
The cross slide actually looks solid .. and unlike 95%+ of "mill" dreams would probably work, pretty well, imho.

This would be for work like old small jig grinders and small watchmaking mills. I think.

So tiny tools, maybe 2-3 mm in D, given the small screws.

Because the z axis is short, 150 mm, you would have great rigidity, so this vastly helps in your goal.
Maybe make ultra short tools via shrink fits ..

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 02:53:45 PM »
Yes that axis is very solid - it really is almost too heavy for me to lift , it says 32kg on the side but seems much heavier.

I think my greatest difficulty would be the spindle . It'd would need to do north of 20000 rpm and have negligible runout both of which mean expensive .

The other problem is why. I already have a 2 axis cnc mill and have access to 3 axis if I need it. What would I do with a tiny machine ???

On the other hand , being able to measure accurately has popped up a couple of times this month , so I'm leaning towards a microscope that can be converted should i trip-over a nice spindle.
Bill

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 07:16:30 AM »
Bill, I don't think you can do anything useful with those bits... Feel free to send them my way for "recycling"  :lol:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...