The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Re-building a Lucas ACR18 Alternator

<< < (2/4) > >>

awemawson:
At long last the rebuild parts have arrived so having checked that they seem to be the right bits I committed to further dismantling.

Many pictures I'm afraid as I wanted to document the order bits came off and the position of various links and soldered joints. So firstly off came the pulley and fan noting that there is a woodruff key and a recessed spacer behind the pulley pressing on the bearing. Then it was a case of removing the regulator, rectifier and brush assembly along with all the associated links.

Once the 'back end' was disassembled I was able to part the front and rear covers and attack the bearings.

awemawson:
I ended up having to press to he rotor shaft out using the 60 ton press and once out I could tackle the bearing retainer. I always find those spring clip retainers a pain !

Once apart I was able to grit blast the end frames - they came up well but are not perfect -there is some remarkably tough paint (or baked oil more likely) in some of the nooks and crannies.

Starting to re-assemble the end frames and rotor I was getting rubbing between the rotor and stator which proved to be minute burrs that I'd raised holding it in the vice to remove the slip ring. A smooth file soon sorted it out but it just shows how small the clearance is between these parts.

awemawson:
The nylon brush holder was extremely grubby so it got a light grit blasting and has come up well.

I've yet to refit the rectifier (has to be soldered) the regulator, brushes and all the links but I've had enough for today and don't want to make mistakes.

Play will resume tomorrow !

RotarySMP:
Why do the British like warm beer?

Because Lucas also made refrigerators  :lol:

awemawson:
A misconception.

We don't like warm beer, we just don't like beer so cold that you can't taste it !

Now lager as opposed to proper beer (bitter) CAN be cold and is what many 'not of these shores' think of as beer, but it isn't. The temperature that a decent draught bitter is served is extremely important. My favorite (Harvey's Best) is what is called a 'live' beer - it continues to ferment in the cask - so not only is the temperature of serving important but so is the cellar temperature for storage. You would be amazed at the difference between pints served at different watering holes despite having been brewed by the same brewery, and all that differs is the cellar !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version