The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Re-building a Lucas ACR18 Alternator

<< < (4/4)

awemawson:
This alternator dates from the early 1970's so although they are silicon diodes in the three phase bridge they pre-date the later style that press into an interference hole in a heat sink mounted on the rear on the alternator.

I know what you mean about selenium rectifiers  - frequently used in 405 line TVs deriving HT rails directly from the mains - so late 50's early 60's. They had the advantage that you could rebuild them on a longer bit of studding with more 'selenium washers' to increase the voltage rating. How we didn't kill ourselves in the Radio Club at school still remains a mystery  :clap:

vtsteam:
I remember those rectifiers. We used to get junked TVs from the dump and strip them for parts. We particularly like Zeniths because they were hand wired point to point -- longer useful leads and lots of terminal strips. And I remember tube (valve) testers in drug stores, with little boxed tubes in the cabinet beneath.

ddmckee54:
Careful there guys, you are REALLY dating yourselves with those remarks.  Next thing you'll be trying to tell us you remember using the shoe fitting x-ray machines.

awemawson:
The inbuilt solid state regulators of Lucas alternators have always been a bit of a mystery to me. I understand the basic method - switching rotor current on and off to control the output voltages - but the subtilties evade me until I found this interesting article on the web:

http://www.worldphaco.com/uploads/HISTORICAL_LUCAS_ALTERNATOR_REGULATOR.pdf

John Rudd:
Interesting read that article on Lucas regs…. :coffee:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version