The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Renovating A Rusty HPC Kaeser Screw Compressor

<< < (2/2)

awemawson:
Still raining but I had to suit up anyway to collect the post so took some pictures.

As you can see the structure of the 'soundboxes' or vents is practically fully disintegrated with rust but the main cover is still very good and solid. Fortunately the vents / boxes just slot into rectangular holes and are screw fixed so can be pulled off without disturbing the rest of the cover.

djc:

--- Quote from: awemawson on October 09, 2022, 10:59:02 AM ---After a  bit more cogitation I've decided to consider quite a redesign to the louvre vents.
--- End quote ---

Be careful changing the OEM airflow through the machine too drastically. The designers knew what they were doing when they made it that way.

On site, in the summer, our people used to open the lid of the compressor 'to keep it cool'. In this way, they overheated far more quickly and shut down than with the lid closed because the air did not flow as IR intended.

awemawson:
I take your point but the vents will be in the same place, but without the sound absorbing foam.

If you look at the last three pictures you'll see why they need changing  :clap:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version