The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

New Computer for Video Editing

<< < (2/2)

vtsteam:
Yes, it was alive! But then the real fun started -- deciding on an OS. I knew for sure it would be Linux, but since the main purpose for this server was video editing, I wanted a fast minimal OS that would support Kdenlive (the editor) and also a remote desktop server application. Plus it had to support the slightly older graphics board.

A version of Puppy Linux would have been ideal for me, but I wanted to try two different remote server apps, Xrdp for the rdp protocol and AnyDesk which is a commercial remote desktop app. In order to run Xrdp, I decided on an Ubuntu compatible OS, and at first tried Ubuntu Jammy Jellyfish server, the most recent. For various reasons this didn't work well with what I wanted to run, being too recent, so I then reformatted with a smaller desktop Ubuntu variant Xubuntu. Trying both 18.x and 20.x versions.

I eventually got Xrdp and AnyDesk running but Xrdp had apparently been compiled without sound support. So I compiled a new version with the help of a script found online. That worked well and in side-by-side comparisons of AnyDesk and Xrdp, I found that Xrdp was better suited and faster than the former, so focused on that.

Up to this point I had tested the server against my laptop as a client running the Remmina client software, and connecting via ethernet cable through my DSL router/modem. Tests using wireless were too slow, but that was expected since the wireless card in my laptop is 10 years old.

So I sent for a new 802.11 ac and Wifi6 miniPCI card for the laptop. Unfortunately the DSL router is also fairly slow, so we're on hold for a new Comcast Xfinity installation (ordered a month ago, but visits by two techs have determined they need to do construction between two power poles before we can be connected. No idea when that will be accomplished, but it's "in the works".

Meanwhile I did look into possibly fitting a fast wireless card to the server box and trying to connect the laptop via Ad Hoc networking, but haven't succeeded yet. I did change OS's once again to a Puppy-like DebianDog version, and recompiled Xrdp for that (with some changes to the compilation script).

awemawson:
Well done Steve, but I must confess it all sounds double Dutch to me - lucky you know what you're doing !

vtsteam:
Well it is gibberish if outside of the tiny world of Puppy linux, and apologies to all. But the gist is I want to have a server desktop computer that runs a video editor program that I can connect to on my laptop, as if the laptop were just a terminal. That way the server can do the heavy lifting in processing. On the laptop it should just look like it is running the program natively. And I'm trying to do this wirelessly.

I've got the server built, and I've figured out which operating system and programs I need on each computer to do this. The only problem to solve now is getting a speedy connection between the laptop and the server box. Wireless communication has developed a lot since my laptop was built, so I've added a new wireless card to it for faster communication.

I'm still at a stage where this wireless communication needs to go through an older wireless router, and there's a bottleneck there. I'm hoping a new wireless modem/router will be installed by an internet and TV  cable company here called Comcast. We've signed up for their service. They have yet to do this on our property because they need to wire between two poles, besides bringing a wire to the house. We live in a very rural area.

Hope that makes sense of the gibberish so far!

kered:
I understand the drive to keep using an older machine, especially one that's been a workhorse for you over the years.

For my setup, I transitioned to a desktop specifically for video editing. I opted for an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X for its multitasking capabilities and 32GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM to handle larger project files. My storage solution was a 1TB Samsung NVMe SSD for the OS and software and a 4TB Seagate HDD for raw footage and backups. For the graphics, I went with an NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super, which provided a good balance between performance and cost.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version