Author Topic: Saving sorveltaja Linked Images - ISP Closing  (Read 3614 times)

Offline sorveltaja

Saving sorveltaja Linked Images - ISP Closing
« on: September 28, 2022, 11:09:55 AM »
Today I got a message from my ISP provider, that they end the ftp hosting service 31.12.2022. So, all the images that are in my project threads, will disappear.

Offline Sea.dog

• Up Spirits!
Re: Saving sorveltaja Linked Images - ISP Closing
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 12:22:34 PM »
Which is why you should always upload to the site. The threads will now be worthless.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 12:25:36 PM »
echo . . . echo . . .  echo     :med:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 01:59:16 PM »
Sorveltaja, if you want to find another host and move your photos there, I can modify the links in your thread to point to the new location -- as long as you don't rename them. I did that to all of mine when Photobucket dropped the hammer.

Or if you want, I can upload them to the forum now as attachments, and then replace them into your posts. The forum now allows inline full size images, so the look and location in the text will appear unchanged.

Seadog, please don't tell people what they should or shouldn't do when contributing pics. Have you uploaded any? Whatever way a person wants to contribute their material is welcome here, it's THEIR material.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 02:33:40 PM by vtsteam »
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 03:20:49 PM »
Sorveltaja, if you want to find another host and move your photos there, I can modify the links in your thread to point to the new location -- as long as you don't rename them. I did that to all of mine when Photobucket dropped the hammer.

Or if you want, I can upload them to the forum now as attachments, and then replace them into your posts. The forum now allows inline full size images, so the look and location in the text will appear unchanged.

Seadog, please don't tell people what they should or shouldn't do when contributing pics. Have you uploaded any? Whatever way a person wants to contribute their material is welcome here, it's THEIR material.

Thanks Steve, much appreciated. I looked for alternative hosting services, but meh, nowadays they seem to be only for business use, at least here in Finland.

So yeah, it would be great if you can change them as attachments. I guess the 'http' problem gets solved also by doing that :beer:.     

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 04:55:37 PM »
Yes, it does solve the http problem. I'll start moving them onboard over time -- not sure how many there are  -- I have to edit each post, but will have them done definitely well before the deadline. Thanks for all your past contributions!

I've started with your posts from 2019 on. Before that time it looks like you had a different ISP (Kolumbus?) and those files are no longer available. However if you have those photo files still at home, and would like me to restore your earlier threads, I can put them in as well.

I've got about 25% of your photos since 2019 moved up to attachments in your posts tonight. I've rescaled any oversized ones to 800 pixels width, and converted photographs (not graphics) from png to jpg, which reduced their sizes to ~20% without loss of quality, hope that's okay. You can check what's been done by looking at posts in the optical pickup thread, starting with the earliest posts. All uploaded posts will show "last edit by vtsteam" unfortunately. I can't remove that, but it does show which ones are now fixed.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 08:13:39 PM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 10:40:16 PM »
Oldest files I could find from the ftp server are from late 2019. Older than that.. maybe I have just removed them to free some space for more recent files on the ftp server. Can't find files older than that from my hard drive either, although I have copies of folders and files that I have transferred to ftp server. Maybe it has something to do with PC hardware upgrade, that I had to do two years ago. But in short, I may not have files older than that anymore.

It's perfectly ok by me to go from png to jpg.

What comes to "last edit by vtsteam", no worries.

Again, your efforts are much appreciated.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 10:08:26 AM »
Workng on locating, if possible, your older photos. The early photos are hosted on www.kolumbus.fi, the photos after 2019 are hosted on www.elisanet.fi. Looks to me like at some point the name changed apparently, but it remained the same company. And as a guess, it retained your same user directory designation /kz1706/ So I tried changing kolumbus.fi to elisanet.fi as the address for one of your old photos:

Code: [Select]
http://www.kolumbus.fi/kz1706/001.jpg
(the first photo in your "idea for a drill sharpening jig" thread)
to
http://www.elisanet.fi/kz1706/001.jpg

but it didn't pan out. However that 001.jpg photo may still exist in the kz1706 user's directory tree -- possibly under a newer directory if you reorganized it at some point, or possibly with a different name. You'd have to ftp to your user directory, and look around at your directory tree.

If you can locate that file, and give a working link, I can probably then change the links on the forum to point to the proper directory, download and then attach all the images for that thread.
Steve

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2022, 01:47:45 PM »
Just checked, and that kz1760 folder is empty. Also, I looked from my old hdd's for pics for that drill sharpening jig -thread, but couldn't find any. As that thread is from 2009, perhaps those pics were on a hdd that went kaput.

I'm not sure when the isp changed from kolumbus to elisanet, but it's been still the same isp all the time.

Would it help if I make an address list of all the files that are on the ftp server? Or maybe send a copy of whole ftp directory and containing files(147Mb zipped)?

Here are the folders on the ftp: 

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2022, 02:35:15 PM »
sorveltaja I'm afraid those dirs are probably all more recent than 2014, and links in your your recent posts work for those. If I find anything otherwise that might be there, I'll let you know. Zipping and sending won't help -- it's easier to work in each viable post with only the links in it, so I don't mix anything up when I make and paste back in the attachments.

re. the pre 2019 stuff....sorry about the combination of factors -- loss of local HD data plus a change in ISP storage. I did check the Internet Archive (Wayback Machine), but it didn't save any photos, just the text. If you have an old disk drive hanging around you could try looking for the photos there. You can get remote HD to USB adapter cables fairly cheaply, and connect an old HD via USB to search it. I keep my old drives as backups.
Steve

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2022, 03:01:32 PM »
I actually have one of those ide-usb adapters, and checked my old hdd's, but they were either empty or contain more recent stuff as a backup. My oldest hdd (120G) just buzzes and isn't accessible.

I'm not that tech savvy what comes to networks and its structures, but if there is something I can do to help, I'd be glad to do my part.

Offline Sea.dog

• Up Spirits!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2022, 04:11:56 PM »
Sometimes a sharp bash on a bench gets them working again. Honest, I have done it a couple of times. You've certainly nothing to lose.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2022, 08:17:57 PM »
Not much more I can think of soveltaja. Guess we'll just preserve what we can for you from 2019-on before elisanet.fi pulls the plug on users.

EDIT: Another ~20 posts updated tonight. I noticed there were also mp3s linked in a couple posts so I zipped and attached those separately. Forum won't attach mp3s, but will attach zip files)

EDIT: 9/30 24 more done, mp3s also zipped and attached

EDIT 10/2 About halfway there. For some very wide circuit graphics, I've reduced to 800 pixels wide inline, to preserve column size, but also attached the full size graphic separately for detail readability.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 02:14:21 PM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2022, 04:20:31 PM »
Working hard before the deadline.....
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2022, 07:16:10 PM »
Done. Approximately 1100 images saved.
Steve

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2023, 05:43:27 AM »
Wow!!

Well done, Steve.   :mmr:   :mmr:   :mmr: 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2023, 09:17:58 AM »
Done. Approximately 1100 images saved.

Thanks again for the effort! I did'n even remember posting that many pics.. :beer:

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2023, 10:58:49 AM »
Thanks Pete! :beer:

Thanks Sorveltaja! :beer: They were all pretty interesting, too!  :beer:

I was able to reduce the pixel sizes and convert from png to jpg on most photos but towards the end, I just had to download them and re-save them as-is because I was running out of time. That was for the last 200 or so.

I left drawings as png's and I zipped .mp3's. because the forum will accept those as attachments. I could not save here the last of the mp3's as it was too large a file. It was one in the thread about using a speaker as a sustainer pickup device on your guitar. The rest that I found and converted were fine.

I inserted all saved images back in their places in the text, so each post should look the same as it did before. The only visual difference in the posts is that they will have a small automatically generated note at the bottom saying edited by vtseam, which I couldn't prevent from appearing.

Happy New Year to All! May your wishes and projects come true!  :beer:
Steve