Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Zetor 7045 Front hub Steering & Driveshaft Repair

<< < (2/2)

vintageandclassicrepairs:
Hi All,
Beware of this method if the bearing is housed in an alloy housing that is not very very substantial
I was asked to sort out a little Sachs engine where some previous moron welded the bearing races to remove them
The heat distorted the engine cases making them virtually scrap :doh:

John

pycoed:
I'm happy to report that the job is all done & the right hand knuckles seem sound, so no need to repeat the torture for the other wheel for the forseeable future :clap:
Seals came yesterday so started the refit this morning. The U/J joints were quite difficult & needed quite a bit of tapping to free off the circlips, which came out easily enough, but two of the bearing cups needed a reasonable force on the press to shift. There is a large 90mm circlip that holds the driveshaft into the axle. Removal was quite tricky due to lack of access, & replacement was also a fiddle having to hold a powerful circlip closed whilst working blind with a screwdriver in the other hand, it took an oath or two but got there in the end.
Actually replacing the taper rollers & refitting the bottom & top pegs was a breeze, though fairly greasy! I'd bought several new shims so set up was no trouble either.
Tractor feels like new now, though the steering assist ram is leaking, so resealing that will be next, though that'll be mostly bench work to be done on a rainy day.
I found a few similar jobs on Youtube  on JD 6000 series tractors & a few on JCB 3cx s too, but nothing specific for the Zetor- however the principles are the same & everyone seems to have the same struggles as Andrew & me with the removal of the top & bottom pegs.

awemawson:
Glad it's done with a successful outcome  :thumbup:

I also know the feeling of relief when it's all done and you can put the tools away finally !

We have had guests for lunch today but I spent the remainder of the afternoon trying to sort out my sand blaster with fair results, but I'll post that in the appropriate thread when it's all done and dusted

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version