Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Box tool again

<< < (2/2)

shipto:

--- Quote from: pycoed on August 23, 2022, 04:37:22 AM ---A very satisfying looking project  :clap:, the value of which would sadly be lost on 99% of the population these days (or am I just being a cynical old curmudgeon?)

--- End quote ---
I dont know there are bound to be some small batch machine shops around the world that still use them but we are in the age of CNC now so any great numbers of parts are not going to be made by someone stood at a manual lathe anymore. I only found out about them because my wifes work asked me to make some screws for the dieheads I refurbish for them and as you can imagine turning 1/4" bar down to 1/8" or thereabouts would have been a nightmare on my Harrison.

pycoed:
Re 1/4 to 1/8: I know exactly what you mean! Only yesterday I could have done with a box tool, since I needed to turn down an M10 bolt  to .200" for just over 1" then taper down to .067 over the last .25". No dimensions critical - it was just a pressure release for a log splitter jack, but it took me 3 goes to do it (1/2" at a time did it).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version