Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

wireless remote for inverter

<< < (2/3) > >>

shipto:

--- Quote from: djc on June 26, 2022, 03:42:32 PM ---

Put a plug and socket on the existing machine so the control box is removable. Run wires to the new machine with a duplicate socket. Then you can carry the control box between machines.

--- End quote ---
That sounds like a good idea  :thumbup: it would also allow me to do what I was planning to stop lathe reversing when in top gear.

JHovel:
Just for your information: reversing a motor with a VFD (inverter) is not a problem. It will not harm either the VFD or the motor, because the VFD has enough smarts to stop the motor first (hopefully you have it set to slow down in a controlled fashion) and restart it in the opposite direction according to it's set acceleration curve. I've been doing that with VFDs and even very old motors for more than 25years.
The only time that's not a good idea is if you have an emergency hard stop programmed (and use the appropriate external braking resistor to do that). But then, you would presumably have a separate emergency stop button for that function. I managed to have a normal gentle brake stop and an emergency stop which stops the motor in about 1-2 revolutions from even 120Hz, less than a revolution from 50Hz. But it makes my 1/2ton lathe just about jump off the floor.... not something to do while thread cutting, only when you are already bleeding....

shipto:
Thanks JHovel and yes I do have soft stop start enabled although I am going to lower the timer.
I have been reading through the manual for my inverter and came across a interesting operation mode option see pic, I currently have it wired in the first mode but the second mode will be much more useful, my reasoning being:
The speed control has limited use on the lathe as it has gears so a simple stop/start will do for that while the mill being direct drive needs the speed controller. So I can set up the forward/reverse switch close to the inverter and then put a simple start/stop on the lathe and a start/stop along with the speed control on the mill. This will also allow me to put a emergency stop in line on each machine.
I hope this make sense because it does to me.

djc:

--- Quote from: shipto on July 08, 2022, 06:07:01 PM ---...So I can set up the forward/reverse switch close to the inverter and then put a simple start/stop on the lathe...

--- End quote ---

That bit does not make sense to me. If you are screwcutting and want to reverse the lathe, you have to walk over to the VFD every time you want to change direction.

shipto:
I will be screwcutting left handed threads with a diehead. I can single point (imperial) without changing lathe direction.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version