Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

wireless remote for inverter

(1/3) > >>

shipto:
I have a 2.2kw inverter in my shop which currently is running my homemade mill, this previously used a 0.8kw or thereabout but when I was offered this inverter at work I came away with a portion of the bosses arm  :lol: and being daft I then gave the smaller one to my mate for his hobbymat lathe.
Now also from work I have a 2.2kw motor which I am going to fit to my Harrison lathe. The reason being I need to be able to run the lathe in reverse to use a die head to cut some left handed threads.
I have a barrel switch? which can direct the inverter output between the lathe and the mill but the controls for the inverter are wired to a box with some magnets to mount it where I want it but I would prefer some kind of wireless solution if possible. There are 6 wires in total FORWARD-GND-REVERSE and 3 for the speed pot.
So I am firstly asking if I should even switch this inverter between the two machines, I cant imagine it would cause a problem but maybe other can see one.
secondly I am looking for suggestions for a wireless remote to control the inverter.

philf:

--- Quote from: shipto on June 23, 2022, 01:45:03 PM ---.............
I have a barrel switch? which can direct the inverter output between the lathe and the mill but the controls for the inverter are wired to a box with some magnets to mount it where I want it but I would prefer some kind of wireless solution if possible. There are 6 wires in total FORWARD-GND-REVERSE and 3 for the speed pot.
So I am firstly asking if I should even switch this inverter between the two machines, I cant imagine it would cause a problem but maybe other can see one.
secondly I am looking for suggestions for a wireless remote to control the inverter.

--- End quote ---

Shipto,

Whatever you do don't operate the switch if the inverter is running one of the machines. It would probably better to power the inverter off.

I don't know how you could operate the inverter remotely - there are 3 channel remote relay units but I don't think I'd be comfortable using one for something as potentially damaging as a lathe or mill.

Phil.

shipto:

--- Quote from: philf on June 23, 2022, 02:09:25 PM ---

Shipto,

Whatever you do don't operate the switch if the inverter is running one of the machines. It would probably better to power the inverter off.

I don't know how you could operate the inverter remotely - there are 3 channel remote relay units but I don't think I'd be comfortable using one for something as potentially damaging as a lathe or mill.

Phil.

--- End quote ---
Yeah already figured that would probably be a bad idea but there is a bit of safety in the barrel switch however as there is 4 positions with the two middle positions being off so its not like you could switch from one to the other by accident.

djc:

--- Quote from: shipto on June 23, 2022, 03:23:07 PM ---Yeah already figured that would probably be a bad idea but there is a bit of safety in the barrel switch

--- End quote ---

It is not so much a safety issue, more it is not recommended from an electrical point of view ever to switch a VFD downstream of its output. On older VFD's this could lead to them being damaged. I think it is a lot less of a problem on current generation ones, but you have to ask yourself if you feel lucky today.

The radio-controlled switching might be less of a worry if you had two E-stop buttons hard wired in series between the two machines.

For simple switching, one radio-switched channel per item being switched is easy, but the potentiometer is more difficult. Something like this would do, assuming the pot value is suitable, but it is only a single switched channel so you could not do reverse:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/perfk-Infrared-Potentiometer-Integrated-Circuits/dp/B07LB2WXQX

Put a plug and socket on the existing machine so the control box is removable. Run wires to the new machine with a duplicate socket. Then you can carry the control box between machines.

David Jupp:
Some inverters have wireless remote options - (mainly for commissioning/testing?)

For example Lenze i500 series have a WiFi adapter available and an Android/iOS app ('Smart Keypad').

Wouldn't surprise me if other brands have similar options...

If you do go wireless, make sure to keep hard wired e-stops near both machines. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version