The Shop > Metal Stuff

Casting and Machining Angle Plates for the Lathe

(1/3) > >>

vtsteam:
I built some patterns today for some solid cast angle plates for lathe faceplate work. They will be cast in aluminum to reduce weight, but are otherwise very substantial at 3/4" thick. They don't need webs. They do feature one radiused  edge of 4-1/2" to match the 9" swing of my lathe.

The first job of these plates on the lathe, will interestingly enough, be to machine square their own rough castings.

vtsteam:
It's been a very long time since I've cast aluminum -- it's been iron, iron, iron this year since relining the oil furnace. It was a great pleasure therefore to do an aluminum pour this evening again. Very relaxing by comparison, and very quick to melt. I didn't have time before supper to cast both angle plates, but here is the first:

tom osselton:
Nice finish on that.

vtsteam:
Thanks Tom. Have you been casting anything lately?

tom osselton:
Not yet I put the battery reconditioning charger on the quad last week because my casting stuff is behind it then I have to retemper the sand that’s been sealed for 2 years it should be fairly funky. 
I have a garbage can of Aluminum and a garbage can of brass to melt.
Currently I have been looking at the Cnc lathe and am inquiring about using Centroid controls to modern it up hopefully I’ll be able to use the Simons 611 controls and servos.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version