Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Small Press to fit in a Tiny shop?

(1/6) > >>

vtsteam:
I've rarely needed a press, and often "make-do" with my vise when I do, or some other makeshift. But lately I think I could use something more designed for the purpose and something that has more capacity than 4". The problem, as always is fitting it into a tiny overcrowded space. This would be for mostly model sized work so I would limit the size part to be worked on as 6" x 6" and vertically I guess 6" of travel??

I guess I could do something with a bottle jack. But I'm going to leave it to you guys to come up with suggestions for a good version if it appeals to you. Just remember compactness is important.

Thanks!

awemawson:
The small Chinese arbor presses are good value and hard to replicate for the money.

“Carbon Steel 0.5 TONNE ARBOR ARBOUR PRESS HEAVY DUTY PRESSING METALWORK WORKSHOP“

PekkaNF:
I had a chinese arbor press. It could do many things and it is pretty compact. Definately benefits on boltting onto table. It had few shortcomings:
* wobbly ram, not always a problem, but could ruin a day when pressing really close fit long shaft or sensitive bearing on housing
* Limited force frame flexes

There are better arbor presses, but they are not as compact and could be expensive.

I went for a small 10 metric ton hydraulic press and it works fine for me.

Joules:
I have a 1 ton arbor press, had difficulty finding a home for it.  Then found the perfect place G clamped to the hydraulic press.  I don't use the big press that often but the arbor press is always used for forming and pressing small components I make here.   Flex not a problem, but shimming the ram and handle makes for a wobble free experience.  You can see beer can round the shaft.  The height is really handy too as it is near eye level, remember safety squints....  I make a large number of custom stainless snap rings.  The forming dies bolt into the ram and sit on the round table.  I have also 3D printed tooling for thin sheet metal forming.   A 1 ton press if you can make space for it, is a very useful bit of kit, more so if you don't need to bend down and use it...

Having it raised means you can also work on long shafts using strips of metal and threaded rod extending below the press.

cwelkie:
I haven't used my arbor press since building one of these ... I do use the round support plate from it on the new press though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version