Author Topic: T&C Grinder Stones Unpacked At Last !  (Read 3853 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
T&C Grinder Stones Unpacked At Last !
« on: May 31, 2022, 06:23:35 AM »
Way back in the dim and distant past before I moved here, my Clarkson Tool & Cutter Grinder enjoyed  it's own corner of the workshop, with peg boards on the wall to safely store the various grades and shapes of stones - and this is my preferred method of storing them.

On moving they were all safely wrapped in newspaper (dated July 2007 !!!!) packed into boxes and the boxes temporarily stored next to the machine. This arrangement persisted for far too long - best part of a year ago I bought some suitable dowelling to make peg boards, but then it dawned on me that I'd run out of wall to mount them  :bang:

So rummaging for the right stone for a particular job became rather haphazard resulting in many partially unwrapped  boxes sitting on my layout table and getting in the way - something HAD to be done.

I had a five drawer wheeled tool box left over from sorting a pile of CNC lathe soft jaws (tool box proved too weak and wobbly!) - it was bent back into shape - each drawer was already lined with firm foam - so I started unpacking the stones into the drawers so at least I could see what I had.

I don't like storing them like this, but so long as the tool box isn't wheeled around violently they should survive.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: T&C Grinder Stones Unpacked At Last !
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 07:42:02 AM »
Andrew, do you use the dowling as pegs?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 08:53:13 AM »
Yes in the past I'd drilled a matrix of holes on a stout board and knocked 4" lengths of dowel with a bit of glue on into them. This lets the stones sit without bumping into each other.

I have in fact made such a board from the rather bigger stones for my surface grinder but it used the last bit of wall space!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 09:02:48 AM »
Ahh, peg boards, not peg board -- perforated hardboard here. I was wondering how wooden pegs could work with peg board, but figured you had a way. Okay, got it... :beer:
Steve

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 10:12:42 AM »
Yes - board with pegs in - like photo below of the one for my surface grinder.

There is a prize for anyone who can find me more wall space  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline hermetic

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 01:22:32 PM »
Could you not make a free standing or wheeled carousel type storage rack? It would have to have a low C of G to make it tip proof, but without making the bottom too wide so that it took up to much space, larger wheels at the bottom and smaller towards the top might do it, or even a triangular profile with more storage lower down and you could infill the "walls" with plywood with the dowels going straight through with a grinding wheel on each end of the dowel
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 01:40:35 PM »
Floor . . . . .Floor . . . . you think I have FLOOR  :clap:

I remember John Stevenson being amazed when he occasionally caught a glimpse of his floor !

In the corner between the surface grinder and the T&C grinder I have a large granite surface plate on it's proper stand. It's just being used as a horizontal surface - I never use it for it's proper purpose. Were it to go to a new home not only would I have two more bits of wall  but possibly something less enormously heavy could live there on wheels!

So, genuine free offer - if anyone wants an granite surface table on stand and arranges to shift it it's yours for the asking. IIRC it's 18" x 36". Edges have a few chips but as John would have said, still make a serviceable grave stone !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 01:49:10 PM »
Just measured it - it's in fact 36" x 24"

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 05:57:28 PM »
Sure send it on over Andrew!

Actually, no......I have the same problem with a cast iron surface plate, and no floor space, in fact it even takes up benchtop space -- even more of a premium.  :bang:
Steve

Offline mattinker

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 01:57:31 AM »
Floor . . . . .Floor . . . . you think I have FLOOR  :clap:

So, genuine free offer - if anyone wants an granite surface table on stand and arranges to shift it it's yours for the asking. IIRC it's 18" x 36". Edges have a few chips but as John would have said, still make a serviceable grave stone !

Well! I might be over this summer for the first time in three years! I'll have to talk to Chris as I'll be coming over by train this time!

Cheers, Matthew

Offline hermetic

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 04:27:43 AM »
Floor? FLOOR? :lol: I am in exactly the same position, but I HAVE underused wall space that could be my answer to the same problem. I feel a massive purge coming on! I need more SPACE (The final front ear (tm). It is a perrenial problem for all of us who are constantly aquiring "interesting" bits of kit! Give an Englishman a machine and he will make a pet of it, give him two and he'll race them! Quick, the screens nurse!
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2022, 06:22:52 AM »
Matthew, be good to see you but carrying this granite tomb stone on the train might be fun !

Phil, send me that wall space !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2022, 09:52:08 AM »
Andrew. I wondered if you had considered a 'book type' arrangement, with a pivoting spine fixed to the wall and the leaves formed from sheets with the dowels inserted.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2022, 10:57:48 AM »
I like the lateral thinking :thumbup:

It would get awfully thick rapidly with each 'page' being at least 4" thick.

I reckon the best idea is to palm this granite table off an an unsuspecting victim generously give this granite table to some one in need !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline hermetic

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2022, 12:53:14 PM »
I made the first step! I painted the LinBin wall sheets with a couple of coats of green hammerite, but my main problem is the "stores" which is at the other end of the building and down a flight of stairs, which means that stuff is brought out, but rarely put back, and as I have (I hope) finished building refurbishment, there is a lot that can go! Onward and upward!
Phil

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2022, 02:18:47 PM »
Accept the fact that it will ALWAYS be ongoing Phil - new 'stuff' , shunting old 'stuff' around . . . never ending I'm afraid :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2022, 02:39:26 AM »
Matthew, be good to see you but carrying this granite tomb stone on the train might be fun !

Andrew,

Well, strangely enough, I wasn't thinking about hand luggage! I have a friend in a wheelchair who has got into machining and I thought about getting it to him! I'm not sure how feasible it all is!

Cheers, Matthew