The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

Electronic stabilization systems. aircraft el al! Link Trainer.

<< < (2/6) > >>

PekkaNF:
He said "MPU9250"

One die houses the 3-Axis gyroscope and the 3-Axis accelerometer. The other die houses the AK8963 3-Axis magnetometer from Asahi Kasei Microdevices Corporation. Hence, the MPU-9250 is a 9-axis MotionTracking device that combines a 3-axis gyroscope, 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis magnetometer and a Digital Motion Processor™ (DMP)

Apparently there are Arduino compatible cards for this chip.

PS: He said that it is a chore to calibrate and set this one up. Apparently Murata has a product that gives angle and rate information out with a less hassle....but didn't have the magnetometer (apparently a good idea with an autopilot).

John Hill:
Thank you!  I think that is exactly what I am looking for!

John

PekkaNF:
Update.....He said that you should have a look on this one.
https://www.murata.com/en-eu/news/sensor/gyro/2021/0209

Comes readily axis calibrated. What I gather - after filtering all four leter words - that precalibration of axis would be a REALLY nice thing. Not like calibration of ONE axis will demand to calibrate 6-9 other parameteres and because they are not calibrated you start first with most important parameters and then zone into parameters that have lower coefficiences....and recursion goes on. You develop new hobby out of it pretty fast.

vtsteam:
Well, of course I'm still back at the CNC scale stage in thinking. Actually, rotary quadrature encoders would probably be more suitable, since you are just rotating on 3 axes. They are cheap on Ebay, and readily interfaced with an Arduino. Programming is straightforward and well documented. You really don't need gyros and calibration and complex dedicated cards to do this, as far as I can see.

The reason RC uses gyros is that the plane  or copter is unconnected to anything mechanically. It's moving through space, and needs onboard stabilization. But in your case the trainer is mechanically controlled and restrained. Would you use a gyro on a mill or lathe for CNC feedback?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125254761523?hash=item1d29c3fc33:g:K8YAAOSwZbVcCOel

12 bucks, plus shipping......

awemawson:
Simple can be best if it works!

I had a friend who wanted to create a stabilised model helicopter more years ago than I care to remember, and he wanted a sensor (just a make contact) that would tell him if tilted forwards / backwards / left or right beyond a limit.

I machined a plastic lump with a shallow dish in it with four pairs of contact pins with a ball bearing siting in the bowl such that pairs of pins shorted together when it was tilted in the appropriate direction.

Amazingly it worked quite well on the bench - how reliable it would have been in real life I'm not sure as the ball and pins would no doubt oxidise. I suggested a pool of mercury and a dome cover to seal it, but I don't think he took it any further his interest taking him elsewhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version