The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

Three Little Piggys

<< < (3/3)

hermetic:
Been doing some reading on the subject, apparently it is an EU ruling based on the last outbreak of FMD, which started at a farm in the UK where unheated :loco: swill was fed to pigs, among a massive list of animal cruelty and hygeine breaches. I don't get the connection between FMD and swill feeding, and given that apparently pigs have been fed on human food waste as at least part of their diet for thousands of years, it seems odd. There is also a huge lobby for the return of swill feeding, 75% of pig farmers want it, unsurprisingly, and the major feed manufacturers ARE in Europe! A damned deep rabbit hole!

awemawson:
My pig feed (wheat and corn mainly) is grown very locally by a farmer I'll be having a meal out with on Friday, and is milled by a feed merchant who lives half a mile from said chap so very eco friendly regarding 'food miles' !

https://www.facebook.com/Frymans-Feed-324808468314590/

hermetic:
Excellent!!support your local Businesses!

awemawson:
Bacon and hams and gammon now cured so today I sliced and vacuum packed 93 six rasher (5mm thick) smoked packs for the freezer.

Certainly my objective of trying for a less fatty product by choosing a different breed seems to have paid off though it isn't going to be a financial success !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version