The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

First Catch of the Year

<< < (2/4) > >>

vtsteam:

philf:
A fine lookng brownie and nice looking rod & reel.

Have you taken the reel apart yet to dry it out properly?

vtsteam:
Phil I removed the screws holding the gear plate and drained the gear case, but haven't done a lube job properly yet because of a retainer screw locking removal of the spool bearing spindle nut. I don't know if it's a poorly made screw, or a special. I'm thinking the former. I definitely don't have a screwdriver to fit.

I haven't tried alternate methods, yet, but I could Dremel the head off, and probably remove the threaded body. I don't think I could get vise grips in there.

vtsteam:
btw the rod is an ultralight 5' Shimano Magnalite carbon and boron fiber GT250. I can't find any reference online for this particular rod. The reel is a Quantum Optix 10. Oddly wound with what seems to be 10 lb test line. I'll rewind with 4 lb. I'm guessing it belonged to a kayak fisherman, where a short rod might be an advantage in a rear rod holder, especially around low hanging branches.

This rod might have been lost while trolling by backpaddling, when a snag pulled the rod out of the rear holder. High test line would make no sense for casting with this rig, and the rod also as short as it is. But kayak trolling might fit the crime.

Brass_Machine:
Nice fish! Great story, written very well!

I love to fish (for trout esp), as does my wife (tho she likes bass) and son. Don't get to do it as much as I would like, though this year I think, will change. There is a small river across the street from us that has trout....

Time to dig out the fly rod.

Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version