The Shop > Our Shop

Electricity getting very expensive in the Workshop

<< < (10/12) > >>

vtsteam:
Looked at a manual... doesn't look like it shows peak.

But a change in the voltage setting could account for the difference betw 27 and 11 readings. What is/was the voltage set at?

Or......could be the Beaver.....

awemawson:

--- Quote from: vtsteam on May 14, 2022, 08:50:38 AM ---Looked at a manual... doesn't look like it shows peak.

But a change in the voltage setting could account for the difference betw 27 and 11 readings. What is/was the voltage set at?

Or......could be the Beaver.....

--- End quote ---

Absolutely nothing was changed on the OWL settings, and anyway it shows sensible consumption when the 13.5 kW kiln is turned on so I don't think it's that Steve.

It make absolutely no logical sense to me at the moment. Even the 11 kW seems awfully high just spinning an unloaded motor.

One thing that DOES tally  up is the 16 /17 / 18 amps draw on the 415 volt three phase input to the Beaver equates to about 11 kW power again confirming that the OWL is telling the truth.

Incidentally, in the past I have checked the Fluke clamp meter against my trusty Avo 8 multimeter and they correspond exactly.

vtsteam:
Well as Pekka said, power factor?

No telling how the Owl factors that in. It isn't something it allows you to set. And just making one assumption for everything could yield wildly differing results. If it uses a dynamic estimation internally, maybe it senses whether an inductive load is connected vs rectifier (as also mentioned earlier by Welding Rod). Maybe it estimated a different power factor for the two measurement samples?

It's basically just a clip on ammeter with internal calculations to yield power/energy usage. How it handles power factor is unknown.

One other possibility, Andrew I came across -- someone on a forum said rotating the connectors solved one of his reading problems -- worth a try?

Actually, Andrew, your Fluke ammeter will allow you to estimate power factor -- and energy consumption without the convenience of the owl, of course. But where they disagree, I'd trust the old meter and your personal calculations.

awemawson:
But Steve the odd thing is that I set up EXACTLY the same measuring conditions on the two occasions.

. . . no change to the Owl or it's sensors and transmitter - they weren't even moved

. . . no change to the Beaver Lathe whatsoever - in each case it was turned on, passed over it's references in X & Z, then the motor started with an S1000 M03 command to spin clockwise at 1000 rpm

Yesterday 26 kW . . . today 11kW . . . . it makes no sense whatsoever :scratch:

(But today I WAS able to corroborate the 11kW using the clamp meter)

vtsteam:
Well, I wasn't thinking you changed anything --- that leaves something changed internally in the meter, or the Beaver drew more one day than the next.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version