The Shop > Our Shop
Electricity getting very expensive in the Workshop
<< < (4/12) > >>
vtsteam:
Checking for similar daylight fluorescent tubes I get 3,000 lumens average on 40 watts. That's 75 lumens/watt.

For the Parmida tubes it's 2200 lumens on 18 watts, or 122 lumens/watt. That's about 40% savings based on specs.

But also this is kind of academic, since in reality you are replacing a 40 watt bulb with an 18 watt bulb, so the electrical savings is exactly that ratio. Watt cost per lumen is kind of an arbitrary figure compared to watt cost per tube in any tube replacement scenario.

And you can't even assume that the light level is lower. In reality the LED light is effectively brighter because of the directional nature, and while that won't create an additional savings in itself, in my case, using half the number of tubes definitely does.
awemawson:
@Muzzerboy

In my view it's extremely simple (like me!)

I am replacing fluorescent tubes that consume 70 watts with LED replacements that consume 24 watts. So my electricity consumption will be 24/70 or 34% of what it was. 100% reduced by 34% is a 66% reduction.

As the LEDs are giving me subjectively slightly better illumination than I was getting before then the only down side is the capital cost. These particular units are guaranteed for 3 years.
vtsteam:
Once again, theory meets reality.
WeldingRod:
You definitely want to bypass the ballast!  Don't waste power making it hot!

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

chipenter:
I fitted Gu10 downlighters over my working area over four years ago , I have had one failure recently two of the LEDs fell of , replacement was £3.99 for four on offer , over the lathe and mill are 12 volt downlighters even older no problems so far , as they are at head height they don't burn my head .
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version